Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 07-19-2019, 04:23 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question Anyone Using the New Maxspect Gyres

Just wondering if anyone has purchased the new generation maxspect gyre package. I like that 2 pumps are included with one controller and their gph is relatively high for larger tanks. I’m just looking for any feedback on them, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Unfortunately my tank requires more flow now that the sticks are all growing out. I like the idea of the PH to be discreetly placed. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 07-28-2019, 06:46 PM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

I use maxspect gyres and overall really do like them. I started with one xf250 in a standard 120g and eventually moved to 2 of them when the new controller was released. Here are the things I've found along the way.

the pros:
- they do move water very well. I've never had to push them over 40%
- very flexible controllability with either the pre-programmed schedules and ability to create custom ones.
- can easily be paired with a battery backup.
the cons:
- they can be a pain to clean as there are a lot of parts. assembly takes some finesse to keep the pumps from squealing when they run.
- depending how hard they're run they can make some noise.
- unlike Vortec pumps they do have a power cord.

I like mine enough that if my pumps both died today I'd replace them with the exact same thing.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMadness View Post
I use maxspect gyres and overall really do like them. I started with one xf250 in a standard 120g and eventually moved to 2 of them when the new controller was released. Here are the things I've found along the way.

the pros:
- they do move water very well. I've never had to push them over 40%
- very flexible controllability with either the pre-programmed schedules and ability to create custom ones.
- can easily be paired with a battery backup.
the cons:
- they can be a pain to clean as there are a lot of parts. assembly takes some finesse to keep the pumps from squealing when they run.
- depending how hard they're run they can make some noise.
- unlike Vortec pumps they do have a power cord.

I like mine enough that if my pumps both died today I'd replace them with the exact same thing.

Thanks for your feedback! The pros and cons are exactly what I was looking for. My only experience with a Gyre was the knock off Glamorca version, which unfortunately ended with spun bushings. That being said the single glamorca moved water great in my 150. The cord part is annoying for me as I have a mesh lid and currently have 2 mp40s. I think I could get over that for the amount of flow achieved by the gyres. Going sps dominant, with the corals growing out, I definitely could use more flow. How long have you had yours?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:37 PM

ReefMadness is on a distinguished road

I got the first one early in 2017 with the old style controller and then got the second about a year later with the most recent one. I have a mixed reef but its bordering sps dominant so I understand exactly what you're after and it terms of chaotic water movement, I'm not sure a gyre can be beat.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:00 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

I don't have the newest gyre's but have bothe the 250 and 150's from the previous version.

I found the older version of gyre's are quietest when they are not run at 100%. Hense I am running the 250's at 70%. The newest version runs completely quiet at 100% but is not compatible with the older version.

To make life easier I have 3 of each so that I always have a spare for cleaning and I don't have to shut down the system overnight while I am cleaning one.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
I don't have the newest gyre's but have bothe the 250 and 150's from the previous version.

I found the older version of gyre's are quietest when they are not run at 100%. Hense I am running the 250's at 70%. The newest version runs completely quiet at 100% but is not compatible with the older version.

To make life easier I have 3 of each so that I always have a spare for cleaning and I don't have to shut down the system overnight while I am cleaning one.
Thats awesome to hear that you have been using them for a while and are currently using them. I was thinking of getting the larger ones (providing that they aren’t huge) so I can run less than 50%). Have you had any issues with the bushings? That is one thing that worries me as, my knock off one seemed to destroy the bushings. Also the thing was extremely finicky to put back together after a vinegar bath
Old 07-30-2019, 06:36 AM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

They give you extra bushings, propellers, cages and parts with each unit. Never had a problem with bushings been running the 150's for 3 years without incident. The original controller (old single controller version) flaked out a few years back. J&L just replaced it with a new unit.

Tags
flow, gyre, maxspect, power head, wave maker