Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Frogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
Hope your dose kills them all on the 4th week treatment. Too bad there is so little known on dose size and water volume. Cutting up pills int 4 peaces then guessing water and if that’s enough medicine.
I have a very accurate scale. Each 23mg pill weighs .95mg so I have a record of exactly how much I have been adding.

Todays dose will be the 5th treatment. I have an exact breakdown of what was added and when I added based on the size of my tank. As soon as I am confident I have the right dose I will let you all know what that dose is. Even though I know I go go up to 4 times the recommended amount I do not want to go there unless I have to as I do not want to kill more microfauna then I have to.

My last dose was 43mg which is almost half a tablet. 1 tablet is supposed to treat 400 gallons per treatment. My tank is about 75-80 gallons of actual water so I should be using 19mg per treatment. At 43mg I was using 2.4 times the recommended dose.

I will be adding about 50-55mg (of a tablet) later today which would be 2.7 times the recommended dose. I have to take my skimmer offline and remove my carbon. I use no other form of filtration like GFO, carbon dosing ect. It is a good thing there are 8 tablets in a package I may end up needing them all.

What I do not know is:
How will the other treatments affect this treatment?
Does the drug build up in the system?
Does the black bug build up a resistance with the lower doses?
Does skimming and carbon remove residual drug from the water?

What I will be able to do is establish a baseline from which other reefers can treat their tanks.

Last edited by Frogger; 03-23-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

I just made the last dose (I hope) at .54mg of a pill. That works out to 2.8 times the recommended dose for red bug.

A couple things to note. This pill does not dissolve in water. I use a pestle and mortar to crush the pill up into a fine dust. I then mix that with a cup of RO water for about a half hour. After a half hour there is still fines that have accumulated on the side cup. I mush these with my finger (where gloves) until the fines have disappeared. I want to be sure to that all of the drug gets into the water and I do not waste any that hasn't fully dissolved.

Since I have been adding this drug to my tank film algae is growing at an exponential rate nearly 3 times faster then before on the glass.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 PM

Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road

Let them have it Glen nuke em!
8pk of pills that is nice my vet sold me a dose 1 pill only. That came in a box marked large dog.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 PM

After your findings I’ll let my vet read your write up and I’m sure he will be more prone to prescribe multiple pills to a reefers for a treatment of there tank . Your thread is much better than all out so far .
Thank you
Old 03-23-2019, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
8pk of pills that is nice my vet sold me a dose 1 pill only. That came in a box marked large dog.
My mistake there are 6 in a box of Interceptor Flavor Tabs Large dog not 8. I have used 2 so far for my 75 gallon tank.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 AM
Gold Member

It is raining bristle worms in my tank. Looks like I have hit the Bristle worm threshold.
Old 03-29-2019, 03:59 AM
Gold Member

Ok it is Thursday night, my last dose was last Saturday and it is time for an update. I have been keeping a close eye on my corals looking at them closely every night and have not seen any activity. This evening I broke out the microscope and did a complete full view of my orange passion.

These little guys are really small and even with a microscope they are tough to find. They are smaller then the tip of a polyp and often hide inside the coralites making them tough to see. Tonight when I pulled out the orange passion the polyps were out a lot more than usual and seemed really big. I took me about a hour to completely search the coral. A couple of times my heart stopped because I thought I saw a black bug, however it was usually just a polyp at an odd angle. I could find no black bugs. I also pulled out a coral from my quarantine tank to give it a once over and found no black bugs.

I am going to call this a success for now and will keep you posted. It took me 5 treatments to finally get this guy. One pill is 94mg (23mg of actual drug) First 2 treatments were 20mg (1/5th) of a pill. The third treatment was 31mg, the forth treatment was 43mg and the final treatment was 54mg more than half a pill. I ended up using almost 2 whole pills for my 75 to 80 gallons of actual water. The drug I used was Interceptor Flavor Tabs as it has only Milbemycin Oxime and nothing else. I was a little worried about Sentinel or the other ones because they have other drugs. I was using fresh Interceptor expiry date Jan 2021. So there shouldn't have been a problem with drug potency.

The Good
I watch my corals closely and am always aware the first sign that something is wrong. Many of my acros currently look better than they have in a very long time. They are showing colours I have not seen and polyps are extended during the day. I feel I may be over the hump with this pest. The treatment did not effect any of my fish or corals and I am not sure about the snails because I had hundreds and I still have many.
The Bad
The drug is expensive and difficult to get. I have pretty much wiped out my pod, my bristle worm and my feather duster populations. Some would consider loss of bristle worms as a good thing, I do not follow that chain of thinking. CUC can be replaced. It took a while to get this drug to work. Coral dips like Coral Rx are not effective on this bug.
The Ugly
This pest is extremely difficult to detect. I have had this pest for a long time and it has effected many of my acros, I can't say they directly killed them but they stressed them. I am hoping that local reefers will really inspect their acros because if they do not they will just keep being spread to reefers tanks.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:08 AM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Great write up frogger! Hope I don’t get these buggers, but if I do I can refer to this.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:12 AM
Gold Member

THE KILLING DOSE
I have calculated out the dosage that seemed to kill the black bugs and it is nearly 3 times the recommended dose for red bugs.

One 23mg tablet will treat 135 gallons of water.
3/4 of a tablet will treat a 100 gallon tank. This works out to 16.7mg of Milbemycin Oxime per 100 gallons. One tablet is 23mg (M.Oxime) and weighs 94mg.

As I did 5 doses I do not know if the earlier doses played any part in killing all of these bugs. You might have to do multiple treatments.

I make no promises that you will have the same success as me, it may wipe out your entire tank. I have no shrimp, crabs or clams in my tank so I do not know how these would be affected, based on the red bug treatments probably not well.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:46 AM

Thanks for the up date ! Keeping my fingers crossed for you . Hope you got them all .