Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal > Canreef Nano Tank Build Contest #1

Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

You MADE the dolphin?! crazy!!

I look forward to seeing how those lights turn out!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 PM

scholar is on a distinguished road

Well everything is now almost done for the tank build next will be the electronics. Im so ready to get water in this bad boy but I have to wait till the 15th correct??? grr I hate waiting.
What does every think so far?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:09 AM

Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

Dude, that's sick. My own DIY skills include mixing saltwater and taking the green stick of epoxy and mixing it together with the purple stick of epoxy.

Well done! Very clever/thinking outside the box/etc/yadayadayada.

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 09-29-2008, 12:50 AM

lorenz0 is on a distinguished road

i honestly can't believe your running HID's as your lighting lol

but i know exactly how your setting up your flow. i was/am going to be doing the same
Old 09-29-2008, 02:19 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by michika View Post
Sounds good. If you have a photo of your receipt for the lights, would you post it, or send me the link please for an online comparison.
What happened to the honer system? That price sounds about right, I believe you can get similar units even cheaper these days.

scholar, I admire your innovation but have you looked into your idea? I have two concerns, heat and less obvious UV. Even with a fan you'll only remove the inductive heat, a fan will not remove the radiant heat which will likely cause big problems with such small volume. Not 100% sure but it's possible you may need a UV shield due to too much UV. It may also just be too intense, I've looked at those types of bulbs before they are brighter than halides and could blind your fish or damage coral.

Also keep in mind HID stands for high intensity discharge and refers to halogens, metal halides, mercury vapor, high pressure sodium and so on.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 AM

There is very little about useing this type of lighting system on reefs other then in Japan and well ya... Im a mechanic and I know the heat these things can produce. I dont think my self that they will run any hotter then power compacts but I will have to see. I dont plan on keeping any fish in the tank but I do see what your saying about there health, if I do plan that road i will factor in the price of uv glass since I dont have access to it for free unlike acrilc. As for the par of this bulb i cant see there being a problem I have seen people use 50 000k bulbs on frag tanks to make zoo's and other coral do crazy morphs then ship them out (dont agree with this but it is done more then people think). There are many diffrent H.I.d kits available these days and yes some are 59.99 on ebay and some are 500.00+ I have no problem showing the price of the kit to people Im more happy that im going to be alowed to cut the purchase price in half.
I hope that every one is likeing this build now come one 15th i want water in this thing!! lol
Old 09-29-2008, 03:37 AM

A few more teeth were added from advice on nanoreef I was told that there wouldnt be enough flow with only 4

last pic of the night or Am to you guys and girls
Old 09-29-2008, 02:22 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Well I'm interested to see how this works out. What's the wattage on one of those lamps? How are you planning on powering it since it runs on 12V. Not sure if you thought of this but if you could find a 12V pump and heater you could run the tank on battery and just have a charger keep the battery charged.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:55 PM

The lamps are actually 35Watts only unlike your standard Headlamp at 65Watt. I plan on running the light with a computer power supply I had kicking around 12v 28amp they reqiure 20 or over to fire then run at 3Amp. If i were to look for a 12v heater and pump im sure that would put me way over the 250 limit. I think that im going preety far out to creat this tank as it is.