Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 09-21-2010, 07:59 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I am now addicted to build threads because of this one...lol. Nice build and VERY nice tank. How did those sponges do for ya? Any problems with them?
Some of the sponges are still doing well (yellow ball sponges)...others didn't make it (large orange/red branching sponges)...and others have appeared from the live rock. In general, it is important to place them somewhere where they don't get any light.

If you are able to leave your rockwork and flow alone for an extended period of time, sponges tend to find the places where conditions are good for them.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 09-21-2010, 08:37 PM

Hawkaholic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Some of the sponges are still doing well (yellow ball sponges)...others didn't make it (large orange/red branching sponges)...and others have appeared from the live rock. In general, it is important to place them somewhere where they don't get any light.

If you are able to leave your rockwork and flow alone for an extended period of time, sponges tend to find the places where conditions are good for them.
I have a yellow sponge that just appeared one day and has takin over my tank. I dont mind it cause it stays hidden in behind the rocks and it actually glues them together...lol

As far as leaving the rockwork alone...I dont think I have two pictures where the rockwork is the same...lol
Old 09-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Default Anemone spawning...again

This is the 2nd time this has happened in the 13+ years that I've owned this green carpet 'nem. There was a full moon last night....coincidence? Probably.

The carpet changes its shape into a cup. This seems to limit the water flow in over the mouth and concentrates the sperm in this area. If not for the actions of the host clown, this would have pooled in the bowl formed by the anemone.

If you have ever dosed coral snow into your tank...that is what the tank looked like after an hour or so!

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's also equinox and that might not be so coincidental. For what it's worth, all the anemone spawnings I've had in my tanks over the years, with the exception of maybe once, they have all been inside a small threshold value of equinox or solstice (as in, if not the actual day of, within a couple days of it). I wish I kept better notes so I could say more authoritatively but I didn't, but I can say that it occured often enough that I'm pretty sure it's not so coincidental anymore.

FWIW it was the H. maginifica would spawn (quite regularly in fact) around solstice and the others (S.haddoni carpet, who was male and green.. just like yours) and BTA's would seem to spawn near equinoxes. The S.gigantea I currently have, have not spawned for me ever, which makes me wonder, could they be females and internal brooders, or could the trigger to spawn for that species be something else entirely, that's simply missing in captivity.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:32 PM

That is very interesting. I've made notes this time, so maybe we'll learn something more next time. Checking my notes I also confirmed that I've had this anemone for over 13 years now.

Here's some fun. Everyday I drain the skimmer cup...and everyday I get two cups worth. Today...10 cups.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 AM

Default Micro bubbles

Lately, the water has not looked very clear. It was very difficult to tell if it was filled with small particles or small air bubbles. I decided that I might have a small plumbing leak in one of the closed loops, so I pulled the pump out to have a look.

The impeller was FULL of snail shells (14 in all). After cleaning those out, I pulled the other CL pump and it had another 8 shells in it. My snails must be breeding somehow, as I can't remember even having added that many snails in the first place!

Removing the shells solved the water clarity problem. The shells in the pump were pulverizing the water so much that they were causing cavitation to occur right around the impellers. So...mind your pumps!

Now that the water was clear again, good time for some more photos. These include a few of fish that I rarely get a clear photo of...

Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Great pics! Everything looks healthy and happy.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Tank looks great Brad! Nice pics too.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:16 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Wow man things sure did turn around it's nice seeing so many nice big colonies and they look great too. What's the orange covering across that one big round boulder? Is it some sort of encrusting coral or what?
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Wow looks great