Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM

BC564 is on a distinguished road

well obviously they are getting their fill of coraline.....
Old 03-22-2008, 05:35 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Big day today. Spent nearly 3 hours replacing all my bulbs. I've got to Geisemann 13000K. A job that should take 5 minutes takes 3 hours in part because of the foolish design of the Aquamedic light fixtures. Changing the halides and flourescents requires removal of 20 screws on each fixture.

Is it Aquamedic's fault?...or my fault?...or just the way it is?.... I cannot get a 250W MH DE bulb to go into the fixture!!!! It might take me 30 minutes or more of fighting with the bulb to finally get it to click into place. I break the ceramic tab on the bulb about 50% of the time.

Very frustrating job and I'm glad I don't intend to do it more than 1x per year. So far, I'm happy with the look the new bulbs are providing.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

HI brad

My Geisemann fixture requires just one screw and then you slide out the 3 glass panels clean them and while they dry change out the lights. Total time maybe 15 minutes for 3 lights.

You should have had some off us help you after the camera clinic.

Tom R
Old 03-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Big Al's BC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
Big day today. Spent nearly 3 hours replacing all my bulbs. I've got to Geisemann 13000K. A job that should take 5 minutes takes 3 hours in part because of the foolish design of the Aquamedic light fixtures. Changing the halides and flourescents requires removal of 20 screws on each fixture.

Is it Aquamedic's fault?...or my fault?...or just the way it is?.... I cannot get a 250W MH DE bulb to go into the fixture!!!! It might take me 30 minutes or more of fighting with the bulb to finally get it to click into place. I break the ceramic tab on the bulb about 50% of the time.

Very frustrating job and I'm glad I don't intend to do it more than 1x per year. So far, I'm happy with the look the new bulbs are providing.
Yes, changing the bulbs on an Aquamedic fixture is intense. Did you access all the bulbs from one end? You should only have to remove the far side panel, then slide the lenses down one end. Same with the fluorescents. It is very easy to damage the sockets when you are putting the bulbs back. We use a tiny slotted screwdriver to spread open the socket while inserting the bulb. Makes installation a lot easier. Obviously this is with the power off!
Depending on the age o your fixture, some of the sockets have been known to arc with the failure of the retaining clip in the socket. If you think the bulb change is painful, wait until you need to replace a socket!

Big Al's BC
Old 03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
acanthastrea freak

Skimmerking is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmerking Send a message via MSN to Skimmerking

Brad I know what you feel like I had a awesome pair of Aqua medic pendants, once. until i had to change the bulbs and ended up breaking a 100 dollar bulb and ended up arcing the socket , got mad at the fixture and ended up selling them really cheap just to get rid of them. they were fan cooled ballasts and electronic ballasts too. oh well that is why i will never go back to HQI ever again i will stay with the Moguls i like them for changing alot bettre and i dont break the bulbs. I wish that the 250 w were like the 150 w alot easier to change too.

oh well
Old 03-22-2008, 06:24 PM

Thanks for confirming that it isn't just me. I'm lucky so far that I haven't broken a bulb. I do use a slot screwdriver to try to spread the contacts just before I put the bulb in. Life time of these fixtures is probably 4 or 5 years...by then, I'm sure I'll be moving to LEDs.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 PM

SEAN DUFFY is on a distinguished road
Default deadly tank

unbelievable tank probably the best i've ever seen outside an aquarium park how much are you in for if you don't mind me asking? does the wife approve?
Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 AM

Los is on a distinguished road

Brad-

I (finally) finished your tank thread. All I can say is "WOW". You are an inspiration. One day...

Thanks again for all your help over at RC.

Cheers,

Los
Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
There is a display of Bengaii Cardinal Fish with Hatpin urchins at the Vancouver Aquarium. The young Cardinals are supposed to hide in the urchin spines, but I saw no evidence of that in the display.
The babies do hide in the spines of the Diadema urchins. They don't do it for very long though, just while they're really small.

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:56 AM

Here's a group of photos now that the new lights are in. There are some new fish in these shots if you look closely.