Jason McK is on a distinguished road

That's trigger torcher. LOL

Very interesting.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 PM

ref leppard is on a distinguished road
Default trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
While defending the Majestic Angel from the Blue Throat Trigger, I discovered that the Triggerfish has an unusual reaction to being touched on his sides.

When you make gentle contact with his sides, he immediately erects his dorsal fin and freezes. Once he does this, it is actually possible to push him around sideways in the water.

Anyway, in this video I catch him up against the wall of the tank and you see the reaction. He's free to swim away whenever he likes, but he stays frozen for quite a while! I've tried to do this by hand, but he doesn't like my hand to get that close and he keeps thinking my fingers are edible.

That's neat! Lookin' at the pics there , those fish are HUGE!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:22 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

It is with a great deal of sadness that I must get rid of both of my Blue Throat Trigger Fish. Their skin is just too abrasive for the acrylic tank. The male, in particular, swims constantly long the aquarium walls and has destroyed the viewing panels. It remains to be seen if I will ever be able to polish them out. (polishing pads are on the way...more on that later)

I love these fish, but I love the entire tank just that bit more.

So...it's figure out a way to remove them. So far, so good. With TomR's sage advice, I built a trap from an old reactor media bottle. Set it in place and caught the male on my very first try! Thanks Tom!!!

He is now a very, very unhappy triggerfish living in my WC sump. He will be transferred to a new home within the week.

400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 03-02-2008, 02:18 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Man thats really too bad you have to give them up

Is it actually there skin scratching the acrylic or teeth? I know my puffers teeth would scratch the heck out of an acrylic tank. He seems to constantly swim across the tank with his mouth pressed up against the glass.

Did you find them a good home yet?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:38 AM

Hey I was wondering if you could tell me where you got the beautiful big gorgonians? I have looked all over and have had such a hard time finding any in town like that.

Do you feed them?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Man thats really too bad you have to give them up

Is it actually there skin scratching the acrylic or teeth? I know my puffers teeth would scratch the heck out of an acrylic tank. He seems to constantly swim across the tank with his mouth pressed up against the glass.

Did you find them a good home yet?
I'm sure it is his skin. When you touch him, he feels like chain mail armor. No home yet, but a few options I'm working on. Certainly, it is more about finding a good home than it is about getting good money for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Hey I was wondering if you could tell me where you got the beautiful big gorgonians? I have looked all over and have had such a hard time finding any in town like that.

Do you feed them?
I've got three types of gorgonians. The largest ones are called candelabra and I have one single blade gorgonian among the forest of a third type that I'm not sure of the name. All have Zoanthallae, so I don't target feed them . I've noticed that the candelabra does eat cyclopeze whenever I put some of that in there. All came on the Live Rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 AM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

Great job Brad the trap looks good maybe we should start a home business with these traps.

Tom R
Old 03-02-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
I've got three types of gorgonians. The largest ones are called candelabra and I have one single blade gorgonian among the forest of a third type that I'm not sure of the name. All have Zoanthallae, so I don't target feed them . I've noticed that the candelabra does eat cyclopeze whenever I put some of that in there. All came on the Live Rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater.
Thanks for the info...I have heard of people having a hard time keeping gorgonians but yours look amazing and seem to have great growth. I think a lot of people end up buying species that require a lot of feeding and they apparently can be tough to feed without really messing up your tank.

I will look into the same kinds you have. Do you know if Tampa Bay Saltwater sells them? Did you have it all shipped to the US side of the boarder?

Thanks again. I really love how natural your tank looks!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:14 AM

TBS does post prices for the gorgonians on their site. It is likely that they grow naturally at the aquaculture dive site. I don't think that they ship to Canada, however. All my stuff was shipped to Seattle and I brought it into Canada myself. (That's an entire discussion covered many pages ago...)

Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road
Cool

i ahve seen purple gargonians in calgary!!!!!! they had them at riverfront aquariums about 2 weeks ago didnt last long thou

were about 45 a piece for a 8 inch tall and 4 inch wide (at its widest point).
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.