Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road
Default 72G to 180G upgrade

I have finally decided to document the rebuild of my 72 gallon display.
First a little back tracking.
About a year ago things where going great, tank looked good, fish and corals happy and healthy.

I was using Zeo, and things rolled right along. Then I got sick, really sick. 2 weeks of no dosing of any kind. Then it all went downhill from there. Colours started to change from bright to brown. For the life of me I couldnt get things to turn around. Then it really started to fall apart, tissue loss on some corals, complete colonies dead over night, I just didnt know what to do.

I was on the verge of a complete teardown and wanted to give the entire hobby up, but my good buddy milliporamaniac talked me out of it.....thanks buddy

So a rebuild was in order.
I wanted to try something different this time, so I got rid of my MH setup and went with T5's, I got rid of the sand in the tank, and reduced my live rock by approx. 80lbs. I felt that there just wasnt enough room for the fish to swim around with all the large colonies and large rock pile.

So in june it all came down, and the rebuild was on. I really wanted to do something unique with the rockwork, leaving room for corals and swimming room for the fish. I also wanted to go bare bottom. This was my lighting line up to start with

Current 10k
Current 10k
Giesemann Actinic+
Giesemann Aquablue+
Giesemann Actinic+
Current 10k
Current 10k
This is what I came up with
July 09

Then September 09
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451

Last edited by Canuckgod420; 05-02-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:38 PM

So as of today I would have to say that I am VERY satisfied with my T5 lighting, growth is incredible and the colours are really starting to pop.
I removed 1 of the current 10k's and added another actinic+, I also removed the aquablue+ and replaced it with a KZ fiji purple.
Here are some top down shots from sept 25(first bulb configuration), and top downs from oct28(new configuration). The growth is insane for just 1 month( I think...LOL)

180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451

Last edited by Canuckgod420; 11-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:44 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Nice rebuild... prefer the look of the tank in July compared to Sept tho, I find the coralline really overpowers the aesthetics of the tank, and makes it difficult to see the coral properly. I think it would make your corals "pop" better if it was scraped.

All in all though it looks good, I like the tower aquascaping.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-01-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks

I agree with the no coraline view, thats why I built the rock towers rather than the rock face. Problem is...I cant get my scraper in there without smacking corals.
The backing is also removable( held on with velcro), I made it like this so I could get the mag float in there, but my arm doesnt reach far enough around the back to get the entire area. So if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them. Also, what can I do about the coraline on the overflow, its even tougher to scrape than the glass.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 AM

tinatom is on a distinguished road

Looks good, cant wait to see it when it gets back to its glory days. Lots of growth though. Good work.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 AM

intarsiabox is on a distinguished road

I liked the second picture better myself, the first looks to sterile. The Fiji Purple really makes the colors pop I'm going to have to buy one or two of those! The SPS are really doing great! I see you went bare bottom this time, are you going to keep it like this and how do you like it?

Last edited by intarsiabox; 11-02-2009 at 03:04 AM.