Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-09-2010, 01:33 PM

MikeInToronto is on a distinguished road
Default Sump: over/under/over? or the other way?

I only have 3 pieces of glass for baffles for a bubble trap. I've added 2 and now I don't know where to put the last one. Am I supposed to have over/under/over like I've been reading or is it under/over/under?

Like I said I only have 3 baffles so even though 5,7,9,101 might be better, what's the right configuration for 3?

Thanks for help. I included drawings of both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sumps.jpg (8.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Over/under/over works better, because the 2 overs mean more area for micro bubbles to rise to the surface

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

I actually thought it was the other way so the bubbles stayed at the top while the water was forced under...so I would say under over under...

I could be wrong but that is what I thought...
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 04-09-2010, 02:12 PM

In your 1st chamber, be it tank drain, or skimmer outlet, the water/bubbles usually get forced down to the bottom due to flow of the drain etc. So, if you now have to go UP and over a weir first, that makes the bubbles want to come out more there. If you went under first, you would be drawing the bubbles off the bottom, right from the direct drain stream, and only have one over baffle for the bubbles to escape.

Mind you, there is all sorts of scenarios etc. What may work in one sump, may not work as well in different sump config

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM

superduperwesman is on a distinguished road

Yeah I say under over under over so most of your micro bubbles get trapped in the first chamber b/c they're at the top and the water is going out the bottom
Old 04-09-2010, 02:27 PM

Like I said, in my sump, all the bubbles go to the bottom first. My first chamber is under/over. It was built when I got it, and I watch the bubbles come from tank drain and right under the 1st baffle

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 04-09-2010, 02:33 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

I have seen both styles used with success. I honestly don't know which one is better, but I'm an over-under-over guy myself
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Rogue951 is on a distinguished road

If you plan on having a refugium in there then u have to go over under over.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I won't be using a refugium. This tank is small so I'm not getting too deep into the build until I get a larger tank. This one is just for practice. I've been out of the hobby too long so I'm trying to relearn what I've lost (or what's changed).

I'll go with over/under/over which was my original plan. I stopped after attaching the second baffle because I starting doubting myself.

Originally I only installed one baffle and had the sump running but on a whim this morning before work I emptied the sump and cleaned it for the extra baffles I had cut but never used. One baffle was fine but there were some bubbles getting in the tank and now I want them gone. I also want to stop using filter socks and sponges.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:23 PM

Default Almost killed my anemone

I got the baffles installed and I put the sump back in place, ready to fill it next morning when the silicone was cured. I also rerouted one of my drains so they all dump into the skimmer compartment. Everything was fine and I was heading to bed. I looked in the tank and the anemone looked shriveled but I figured it was "changing water" so I left it.
I woke up and took another look. The anemone was a little larger but still unhappy. I felt the water: cold. "How can this be? I placed the heater in the DT!" Well putting it in is fine. Plugging it in is usually helpful.
Anyway, I threw the heaters in the sump, emptied the stored water into the sump, threw on the return pump and hoped.

Everything was fine. The temperature had dropped to somewhere around 65 so I guess it wasn't too bad. It took a couple hours for it to reach above 70 and I could see the anemone changing as it got warmer. It's doing great again.

As for the bubble trap, it works well enough. There are still micro-bubbles and it seems these are still there even when nothing is running but the VorTech in the tank. I can't figure out where they come from but it doesn't matter. They don't really bug me and there aren't many. One day I may find the cause.