Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM

pirate is on a distinguished road

I was back at Rona today the bits are returnable when worn out. Or so the packaging was saying. It's there Eco line how good the warinty will be on something like this is hard to tell, but if they replace it when it's worn out hey that is money well spent. The quality looks ok. But if you are going to buy from eBay look at this as well it cost almost the same.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

Too bad Sears or Canadian Tire don't make them in their brands. We'd never buy another one.

Ken

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
I was back at Rona today the bits are returnable when worn out. Or so the packaging was saying. It's there Eco line how good the warinty will be on something like this is hard to tell, but if they replace it when it's worn out hey that is money well spent. The quality looks ok. But if you are going to buy from eBay look at this as well it cost almost the same.
Not sure but this might be a 'limited' return policy where you will get a new bit for a reduced price when you return the worn one. The local Windsor plywood outlet has the same policy for certain brand saw blades etc.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Seamazter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworldaquatic View Post
too bad sears or canadian tire don't make them in their brands. We'd never buy another one.

Ken
+1
Old 04-19-2010, 09:45 PM

BCOrchidGuy is on a distinguished road

I've got an old plain steel one that you silicone around where you're going to drill the hole, add water and then add a cutting compound. I've drilled a bunch of holes and bought a couple more bags of cutting compound and the thing works great. You have to use a drill press though or something to stabilize the bit or it will skate around if you try it by hand.

Doug
Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 PM

brizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOrchidGuy View Post
I've got an old plain steel one that you silicone around where you're going to drill the hole, add water and then add a cutting compound. I've drilled a bunch of holes and bought a couple more bags of cutting compound and the thing works great. You have to use a drill press though or something to stabilize the bit or it will skate around if you try it by hand.

Doug
A steel tube or brass tube drill is used with silicon carbide abrasive media. The old fashioned way to drill glass, but the most cost effective if you're doing lots of holes.

Interesting thing I learned today at work, you can actually get a 'sharpening stone' for diamond hole saws! It removes some diamond grit and bonding material exposing fresh new diamond. Apparently each holesaw can be 'refreshed' only once. Going to order one in and give it a try on some of the samona bits in my shop.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM

Kenzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
I have gotten a number of out holes out of the "cheapies" so they aren't that bad.

Garry, if you are looking for hole saws check out mops.ca. I think they are the same as the ones BRS carries but will cost you less.
I bought an 1.5" hole saw from MOPS and it worked great. The best part is no duties to pay.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM

Gaffer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate View Post
The Rona Eco brand is an exchange program. Similiar to a core charge for car parts, or a propane tank exchange.

Basically, you buy the bit/blade/saw you need for full price, and when it wears out you bring it in and buy a new one for less when you trade in yours. They then take the old ones and resharpen them (in the case of sawblades).

Various outfits have been doing this for years.

Andrew