Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 AM

iceman86 is on a distinguished road
Default Stray voltage

Anyone ever get stray voltage from a ph probe/controller? I've been trying to track down the stray voltage in my tank but something is weird. Last week I was getting 90 volts in my water. I managed to track it down to a faulty ATO float sensor. I pulled that guy out and the voltage dropped to 20. Sometimes it would even drop to 5-7 volts.

I've been monitoring my ph with a pin point monitor for a while but this past weekend I setup my profilux controller to help control my calcium reactor and have more safe controls for my tank.

I calibrated the profilux probe and put it in the calcium reactor and kept the pin point monitoring my tank. I set all my values on the profilux and everything looked great.

Next morning both numbers looked off and the pin point ph was bouncing around. I figured it was some sort of interference so I disconnected the profilux controller and the pin point numbers settled at the right ph. I then recalibrated the profilux and set it back up and everything looked good until today everything was messed up again.

I started tearing everything apart again and looking for the interference. I tested voltage and got 20 volts so I started unplugging everything and I came to the conclusion it was the profilux controller. I unplugged it and got 4 volts on the tank water.

I then plugged the controller back in without any probes and still got 4 volts. I plugged in the temp probe and voltage jumped to 6 volts. I then plugged in the ph probe and the voltage jumped to 20 volts. At this point I figured it was a faulty ph probe so I took it out and the voltage dropped to 6 volts. I took the probe from the pin point and plugged it into the profilux to test it and the voltage jumped back up to 20 volts so it's not a faulty probe.

Any idea what could be causing this?