Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-29-2017, 02:55 AM

GoFish is on a distinguished road

And this
Old 01-29-2017, 03:02 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Fluconazole

Took me only about 45 minutes of searching but because a lot of people have questions and for whatever reason not searching I went through several dozen posts on Reef Central and about 25 or so posts on Reef to Reef this is what I found
*****this is not scientific but taken from other forums*****

Is Fluconazole harmful to my tank inhabitants?

In every post I read Fluconazole was not harmful to even the most sensitive fish and coral. Many people who reported coral, invert and fish death and injury during and after treatment traced the deaths or injuries to another algae or bacteria moving in, fighting over new food sources uncovered by the removal of bryopsis and existing illness were the most common factors

Side effects of Fluconazole and bryopsis removal?

Most commonly reported symptom of the treatment and removal was the appearance of Cyanobacteria which from what I could glean from the posts is around 35% of the time Cyanobacteria would appear. Less common was hair and bubble algae. In rare cases it seemed that flatworm populations exploded in some tanks.

Does bryopsis come back after treatment?

From what I found is many tanks were still bryopsis free after 6 months from the treatment date. In some cases where not enough treatment was used it came back or was reintroduced back into the tank via other means

How often can I use Fluconazole?

I found no clear detail on this but apparently it would seem treatment can be used again and again with no ill effect but then again it is user beware

Can I overdose my tank with Fluconazole?

Again I found no clear evidence of this as most people tended to err on the side of caution and under dose but again it is user beware

Hope this helps somewhat

Last edited by Dearth; 01-29-2017 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:22 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Is every dosing at 20ml per gallon or more?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-29-2017, 11:57 PM

20mg* per gallon yes. I used slightly more as I didn't feel like splitting up 80% of a capsule. And did you mean to say everyone? Or every dose? Cause it only takes one dose

And thanks for doing that research Dearth ^^^ helpful info to add here.

Last edited by GoFish; 01-29-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 AM
Likes to play with Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFish View Post
20mg* per gallon yes. I used slightly more as I didn't feel like splitting up 80% of a capsule. And did you mean to say everyone? Or every dose? Cause it only takes one dose

And thanks for doing that research Dearth ^^^ helpful info to add here.
Got it, just trying to gauge how many pills for my tank.does this powder mix with water well?

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-30-2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Got it, just trying to gauge how many pills for my tank.does this powder mix with water well?
I couldn't get it mix completely without sediment, not sure if it's possible unless maybe alcohol is used? Don't use alcohol though just shake it the best you can with tank water and let er flow.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Likes to play with Fish

Quote:
I couldn't get it mix completely without sediment, not sure if it's possible unless maybe alcohol is used? Don't use alcohol though just shake it the best you can with tank water and let er flow.
Cool bro, I just dosed 3 pills in my 110g system... for whatever reason the bryopsis is only in the sump, it may be due to lower flow and sediments settling feeding the weeds. Anyhow it didn't dissolve well so I poured it on the affected areas. Hoping the undisolved powder will be extra strength against the weeds lol.

I should've took some pics for document reasons but will let it brand update my progress.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:48 PM

So you dosed about 1/4 of what others have done. That should be a good test. I know people are wondering what the minimum amount would be to see results.
Let us know how that works.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Likes to play with Fish

Quote:
So you dosed about 1/4 of what others have done. That should be a good test. I know people are wondering what the minimum amount would be to see results.
Let us know how that works.
Yah I guess roughly 5mg to a gallon, was just thinking should dose abit first to see if anything happens and if not do a second dose. I learned the hard way with vibrant lol.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
Yah I guess roughly 5mg to a gallon, was just thinking should dose abit first to see if anything happens and if not do a second dose. I learned the hard way with vibrant lol.
If you could give it 48hrs since dosing to see if there's a difference that would be sweet, that's about the time it definitely shows an impact