Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-08-2010, 03:31 AM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road
Default Tang Planning

So i've recently set up my 135, everythings doing very well. I've picked up lots of coral recently, all doing well. Now time for the next phase, planning fish to add to the tank. I've gone far overkill on skimming, refugium, Biobeads, live rock, etc. Right now water tests have had 0 nitrates for awhile. I now need some bioload, haha.

Currently i have:
-Flame Hawkfish (currently tank dominant)
-yellow tail damsel
-2 osc. clowns

I'm Thinking of adding(not all but some):
- 2 to 3 tangs
- a schooling fish (looking at 5-6 chromis)
- a mandrin
- coral beauty or flame angel
- copperband butterfly

The biggest hurdle seems to be the tangs, what to add, and in what order. The rest should be fairly compatible from what i've seen. For tangs i've been thinking either:
-regal/scopas/kole
-yellow/regal
-scopas/kole/powder blue.

Anyone have any input on what works in their system? Obviously fish personalities are always different, and some will work while others not. I'm trying to avoid the "not".

Any input would be great, thanks.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

As far as Tangs go it really depends on how big you get them from the start and their personality. I love the Yellow tangs, Purple Tangs, Powder Blues or the Powder Browns, In a 135 I would stay away from the Hippo tangs and the Sailfins, they get big fast. Powder blues can get very aggrssive but if they are all added at the same time you should be ok. Make sure you have lots of rock for them to hide in. I would be really hesitant on a Copperband Butterfly, most don't make it. 3-4 small tangs in your tank would be more than enough imo.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

In regards to the copperband butterfly, I would suggest NOT getting one. They are very hard to keep and most reefers are unsuccessful in doing so. I am one of them and tried twice, but couldn't keep them alive.

With chromis, don't do it... they don't really school, somtimes they are playful and chase each other. But more importantly in my case, they are digging burrows under rock/sand, and always causing a sand storm. I hate mine!

Angels: I love my Potter's and Flame, they are beautiful. But remember that they may nip at corals. In my case, they don't. Glad I have mine, but beware with the coral.

With Tangs that is a preference thing. With the Powder Blue, again one of the harder to keep, many will say the same as me. Try it if you want, but this species may die on you. Again I speak from experience.

Also with tangs if you add them at different times, as you already know you may have issues. If adding independantly, then choose the least aggressive first then move up. But if you can add them at the same time, then they all should be fine together. I personally have a yellow, hippo and sohal tang without issues. The sohal being the most aggressive in nature, but I am lucky and have one that plays nice.

I hope this helps.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 12-08-2010, 06:58 PM

Reefer Rob is on a distinguished road

I know the little toony size fish are hard to resist, but with a small tank like a 135 I would stay from Regal Tangs. These guys are speed freaks that just seem to enjoy swimming as fast as they can!

I prefer what I like to call "hard working" Tangs. These guys are happy to spend the day cleaning the reef, and hardly seem to notice they're in a glass box. The top of this list would be the Yellow Tang- a real workhorse.

I would substitute the Powder Blue for a White Cheek (Japonica), my personal favorite. While still sensitive it's much easier to keep.

My 2 cents
Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Thanks for asking before you buy.
You have excellent advice from all those that have posted.
I would ditch the powder blue and go with the powder brown A,japonica. It is an excellent fish.

I would try to hold off and add the tangs last. Add them together with the lights off for a day or two. Avoid approaching the tank so as not to stress them. Feed from both sides of the tank.
That way you will avoid the tang problems that a recent thread revealed.

BTW I would recommend getting a natural pair of mandarins after your tank is mature. It is really neat to see them be together.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
I would ditch the powder blue and go with the powder brown A,japonica. It is an excellent fish.

I would try to hold off and add the tangs last. Add them together with the lights off for a day or two. Avoid approaching the tank so as not to stress them. Feed from both sides of the tank.

BTW I would recommend getting a natural pair of mandarins after your tank is mature. It is really neat to see them be together.

Good luck.
+1 on the tangs... If you want a powder, I also like the Brown better.

Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Another nice tang is the Blonde Naso

Old 12-08-2010, 07:45 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't suggest getting a regal or naso tang. They both get really big, and love to swim ALOT! I tried a regal in my 125 and as he started to grow, he began to pace a lot and got aggressive. He wasn't very happy at all. Regals and powder blue's are both highly susceptible to ich FYI. Scopas and Kole should would great in your tank.

As others have pointed out as well, copperband's have a very poor rate of survival in aquarium tanks.

Mandarins in a newer tank aren't a good idea. They like to feed on pods around the tank, even if they are eating frozen/flaked food. I would wait until your tank is more mature.

If you're looking for a schooling fish, you will be dissapointed with chromis's. They don't school very much, and by a year or 2, you are usually down to one as they kill each other off. Longspine Cardinalfish, also called glass or theadfin cardinalfish, are one of the best schooling fish for marine tanks. Marine Aquaria in Edmonton has a group together in one of their larger tanks that school together. I would look at the school before writing them off. They look like they have a neon blue light in their head that glows.

As others have already pointed out, dwarf angels can eat corals. I had 3 in my tank that weren't for the longest time, and then one day, they started. If you have some type of canopy or top and some sand, I would consider getting colorfull wrasse's instead.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:28 PM

Lampshade is on a distinguished road

Thanks all, thinking about it the regal does get pretty big. Seeing rob's monster I should stay clear of that one. I like the yellows, I"ll look into the others. And i found a few video's of the chromis, they don't really schoool at all, May i'll stick to a couple and get a couple goby's in there or something.

Thanks again all, great input.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:02 AM

ickmagnet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post

Good luck.
Totally Agree. If you insist on a powder blue, I would buy one from a fellow reefer who has kept it successfully for a sustained period. I've never had any luck with store bought ones. I have one in my 180g and it is the most active of all my fish. I sometimes feel I need a bigger tank for it.