Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 07-06-2016, 04:06 AM

NanoReef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NanoReef
Default Need opinions from the veterans

Ok, I have been keeping reef tanks for coming up on 12 years now, my 120 gallon has been up for 11 years already! We also have a 30 gallon shallow reef that we have been running for a 3.5 years. So here is the opinions I need. We currently have radion gen 2 with a TIR lens kit on it over the shallow reef and it has been there for 3 years now. I have had incredible luck with our zoanthids, and some sps, but no luck at all with our LPS. It lives, and the color is great, but I get literally zero growth. We are in the middle of a move for the 30 gallon, so while it's all apart, I'm wondering, should I switch the light out? I have had awesome luck with metal halide, but I wouldn't want MH over this shallow tank. Like I said, the growth and color of some of our coral is unmatched while using the radion... But I am wondering if T5 is maybe a better option for more even growth of our mixed reef?

So veterans, help me out. Stick with the Radion, or make the switch to something else?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-06-2016, 05:43 AM

Potatohead is on a distinguished road

Supplement with T5's?
Old 07-06-2016, 05:55 AM

Reef-Geek is on a distinguished road

My lps grows crazily fast under radion, could it be something else other than the light?
Old 07-08-2016, 02:47 AM

Water changes are done out of the same tank as what my crazy growing acans are in with the MH. Parameters are great, and I can see anything that would have my sps growing great, but LPS not growing at all
Old 07-08-2016, 03:02 AM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Are feeding the LPS? If not that may be a contributing factor.

Greg
Old 07-08-2016, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy View Post
Are feeding the LPS? If not that may be a contributing factor.
Yep, them and all the Zoas/palys get reef roids and coral frenzy twice a week
Old 07-08-2016, 04:10 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

I think the radions on a shallow reef is burning your Lps, if it were me I would use t5. Feeding reef roids to Zoas and palys and sps are fine, but Lps need larger food like mysis or brine or pellets. The best time to feed Lps is 1-2hrs after the lights are out, use a red or purple led flash light shut off flow and feed most Lps like brains, lobo, acans, scolly's have crazy feeders out.

I think a few people here will agree that Lps may grow with LEDs but I have never had success with led and certain Lps. It seems like they bleach.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 07-08-2016, 07:16 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post
I think the radions on a shallow reef is burning your Lps, if it were me I would use t5. Feeding reef roids to Zoas and palys and sps are fine, but Lps need larger food like mysis or brine or pellets. The best time to feed Lps is 1-2hrs after the lights are out, use a red or purple led flash light shut off flow and feed most Lps like brains, lobo, acans, scolly's have crazy feeders out.

I think a few people here will agree that Lps may grow with LEDs but I have never had success with led and certain Lps. It seems like they bleach.
But it seems like his colors are good, just not growing....I would still lean towards more larger bits of food.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bblinks View Post
But it seems like his colors are good, just not growing....I would still lean towards more larger bits of food.
At one point I did feed the acans mysis regularly... Didn't seem to make any difference
Old 07-25-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tang daddy View Post

Any suggestions for what kind of T5 for a 24" tank?