Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-04-2016, 02:26 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road
Default Scuba

So I signed up for scuba lessons at UBC finished all the pool stuff and dry suit orientation and doing the 5 ocean dives this weekend.
I'm having a blast it's totally awesome.

I purchased some gear from them as well
Tusa x wing bcd, fins boots snorkel, shadow mask, rs 790 regulator

Wondering what are the better dive shops in the lower mainland???!
I haven't bought a tank yet but I'm thinking I seem to run out of air much faster in the pool than other people I've talked to, so I'm thinking a larger steel tank might be the way to go over the 80 aluminium?
Any suggestions or anything I should know?
Good places to dive locally? We're going to white cliff this weekend and obviously Porto cove is a big spot
Also def. gonna bring the go pro this weekend, I'm so stoked!!!!
Going to Mexico in 3 weeks with like 10 buddies to one of thems 70' sail boat so I can't wait to dive there as well!

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 03-04-2016, 06:52 AM

lemon604 is on a distinguished road

There is a dive shop at the corner of Arbutus and 10th
Old 03-04-2016, 02:33 PM

Kabong is on a distinguished road

Ocean Quest Dive Center in Burnaby is one of the most active stores.
They also have a rental fleet of fusion dry suits.

Your air use will get better with time, I'd suggest holding off buying a tank until you've got some time in. See if the shop has steel tanks you can try, Always try before you buy if you can. It will lead to a smaller bin of "why the hell did I buy this?"

Depending on where your going, A lot of Mexico is drift diving.
I wouldn't recommend trying this style with out a guide/shop.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:04 PM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

When I first started diving back in 1987 I bought all the required gear but found it was a pain in the arse to haul it around especially up in the north here where travelling long distances to dive was the norm. Before I quit diving in the early 2000's all I carried around was my wetsuit, fins, mask and snorkel and rented everything else where I could found it cheaper in the long run and a lot easier than lugging equipment around.

As to running out of air you get better with air management the more you divejust remember exertion and excitement both use a lot of air. I myself had just started getting back into the hobby myself and yup I sucked air like there is no tomorrow but I get up to a year off from it now due to my recent medical adventures (yay heart attacks)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Yup. Air consumption will get better with time and practice. There are a number of shops throughout the Lower Mainland. All have their pluses and minuses. But most are pretty good overall.

There's a great market for used gear too. Keep your eyes on Craigslist and there's a great Facebook Group, BC Diver's Buy and Sell. I got great deals on most of the gear I needed. Also, when it comes time to hydro/vis tanks there's an outfit on Annacis Island that is way cheaper than the dive shops. They do the tanks for the Coast Guard.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 PM

Oh, and tons of dive sites but some are more advanced so you'll want to get a bunch of dives under your belt. Whytecliff and Porteau are good for that. Kelvin Grove is another favourite of mine. There's two other dive sites in Horseshoe Bay. Several up Indian Arm. Britannia Beach.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:46 AM

e46er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron99 View Post
Yup. Air consumption will get better with time and practice. There are a number of shops throughout the Lower Mainland. All have their pluses and minuses. But most are pretty good overall.

There's a great market for used gear too. Keep your eyes on Craigslist and there's a great Facebook Group, BC Diver's Buy and Sell. I got great deals on most of the gear I needed. Also, when it comes time to hydro/vis tanks there's an outfit on Annacis Island that is way cheaper than the dive shops. They do the tanks for the Coast Guard.
Ok thanks! Def. gonna check that out when the time comes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabong View Post
Ocean Quest Dive Center in Burnaby is one of the most active stores.
They also have a rental fleet of fusion dry suits.

Your air use will get better with time, I'd suggest holding off buying a tank until you've got some time in. See if the shop has steel tanks you can try, Always try before you buy if you can. It will lead to a smaller bin of "why the hell did I buy this?"

Depending on where your going, A lot of Mexico is drift diving.
I wouldn't recommend trying this style with out a guide/shop.
Brendan at UBC also recommended me to get a steel tank...... Is this solely because they come larger or is there another benefit?

Owner of Mountain Ridge Heating and Gas
Class A gas fitter, HVAC
Old 03-05-2016, 06:39 AM

Partly because they come larger. And they aren't negatively buoyant when empty like an AL80 so easier to stay submerged with less additional weigh toward she end of the dive.