Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Controller and Monitoring Specific

Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
What I'm trying to say is they say to replace vial before 3 minute count down
'xactly

No holding the cuvette outside the tester and 're-mix a bit more' before adding to the tester.

Mix, insert, hold button to start 3min timer
Old 01-13-2017, 03:14 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

I don't think that makes a difference. I just do that to make sure all he bubbles are out. What difference would it make?

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:57 AM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Difference for me was lower results with your method to me it looks like the powder mixes better with the longer time frame to work with it .
Old 01-13-2017, 04:01 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Difference for me was lower results with your method to me it looks like the powder mixes better with the longer time frame to work with it .
Mhmm
I'm sure Hanna has a reason for the 3 minutes, but who am I to question it?
I think I'll stick with the Mfg methods
Sorry Mindy. I trust and love all your input/insight/knowledge - it's priceless. But in this case, nah
Old 01-13-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make sense though. It's just powder, it's not engineered to only mix so much in 2 minutes. I never have unmixed powder after the 2 mins anyway. If I see the bubbles are all out, I'll often put it right into the checker after the 2 mins mixing. I've never had unexpected or unusual results. I'll give it a shot today.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Ok, I just ran the stupid checker 5 times.

Twice on my display, once your way, once my way. I got 0 ppb both times. That's useless.

Then I tried the fish QT tank...it's too high for the ULR. That's useless.

Then trying to figure out what I can do...hmm, maybe make some SW with tap water? Hmm... oh wait! I have a bin cycling some dry rock! So I test the bin twice, once my way, once your way.

Put the cuvette in the checker right after the 2 minute mix - 99 ppb
Continue to mix cuvette after the 2 min, and put in checker at 45 sec left on 3 min countdown - 103 ppb

So 4 ppb is within the accuracy and EMC deviation which is +/- 5 ppb (each!), so essentially, my readings are the same as I expected they would be.

SPS fanatic.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:44 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

I also did it both ways last night I got a ready of 12 the instruction way and 5 your way one thing I find doing this your way is I have much more time to Polish up the vial and confirm all micro bubbles are gone, possibly this is why I get the lower reading who knows.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

Ryan is there still powder in your vial after the short time you mix?
I usually premix my vials then do the test. But maybe I'll try the other method this time. Reason I premix before starting the test is because the powder takes time to melt and mix in. Perhaps my water is not warm enough. I find that emptying the packet into the vial and mixing it 10times with a rolling motion leaves a bunch of unmixed powder at the bottom.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips
Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Maybe slightly off topic but being that I've been doing a lot of PO4 testing lately, I noticed something. I can tell when I'm about to get a wing nut reading, by when it looks like the colour didn't change at all rather than if it changes more than I expect. Ie. if I see a slight blue tinge to the water then I get a lower reading which tends to be inline with the day to day trend. But if it looks perfectly clear then I'll get a reading that puts me into the "WHOA WHAT HAPPENED IN THE TANK TODAY" territory. (Which of course I repeat the test and usually calm down when the next reading makes more sense).

I am using up a box of older reagents though, so maybe that's part of the issue in my case. I would say I get in the ballpark of 1 in 4, are these wingnut readings that don't make sense.