Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Hi Brett,

Adding the Foz Down the way you suggested is a good way to use it.

As for effectiveness it will immediately bind with any Phosphate it comes in contact with. If you have a lot of Phosphate it might plug the filter sock quickly.

If you have a bucket for ATO water it could be added to that. Then a dilute amount will be added continuously during the day. The water outlet hose for the ATO could be run into the back of the overflow or even directly into the filter sock. I have heard of aquariums using sand filters so a 200 micron filter sock should work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
So if you dose into your overflow and it goes almost immediately into a filter sock... is the foz down still as effective? And will a 200 micron sock catch the precipitate? I'd imagine that not all of the foz down would react right away and it would get through the sock itself and cause precipitation elsewhere where you can't collect it?

I have an unused doser channel so I'm curious...
Old 04-20-2012, 10:25 PM

Reefie is on a distinguished road

I'm sold on Foz Down, just have to wait to get some. *Ahem* Tim......

Haha!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

They should be ready end of next week.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM

kobelka is on a distinguished road

Is it important to add foz down where you can catch the precipitate? Is it a must do to remove whatever forms?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 AM

Ian is on a distinguished road

I have to chime in here
I have been having a huge algae issue for a long time in my 250 gallon system . I am doing 15% water changes weekly and have reduced feeding and am still fighting this battle. I tried FOZ down to the tune of 2 -8oz bottles in 2.5 months and had no change that I could notice. I actually put in 20ml 3 times in 1 day and measured phosphate before and after each dose and the following morning with no measurable change.

It may work for you but just beware it is no miracle cure....and the battle continues

Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

GFO is doing a good job for me I'm just looking at ways to minimize maintenance. One less media to replace every 2 weeks would be nice. As soon as I exhaust the 30 lbs of HC GFO I just bought I'm going to take the stuff for a test drive.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:07 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Since upgrading my lights algae has become an issue...my refugium can no longer keep up so I have begin today to use Rowaphos. Time will tell.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 AM

weyburnt is on a distinguished road

I put some dried live rock that was given to me into my 50 gal when I started it. When I bought my po4 testkit 3 weeks later I was at 5ppm. I started doing 20 percent wc twice a week and quickly got it down to .9 ppm. Gfo diddnt do much for me. Algea scrubber built from anaquaclear 500 helped alot.foz down brought it down very fast. Tank looked like a snow globe. That was about six weeks ago. Now phosphate leaches from the rocks at about .1ppm every couple of days. Foz down will drop it to zero in an hour. Hair algea is dying and phosphate is leaching less and less.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 AM

Philster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
GFO is doing a good job for me I'm just looking at ways to minimize maintenance. One less media to replace every 2 weeks would be nice. As soon as I exhaust the 30 lbs of HC GFO I just bought I'm going to take the stuff for a test drive.
Wow, 30lbs is going to last you quite a while I am trying the new HC GFO at the moment. Do you find your skimmate is quite dark now? Some have suggested I may have it tumbling to much but I have it moving very gently. How are you liking it
Old 04-28-2012, 03:48 AM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
If you have phosphate issues, it is most likely caused by something YOU are doing.

Most likely overfeeding or lack of maintenance. I know, you are not "over feeding".

Good luck.
Yeah, as I said. I don't want opinions on my maintenance, just on products out there people are using....but thanks.

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.