Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

You've probably got a lot of phosphate bound to your rocks and sand. Three or four years ago when I first tested my tank for it I was at .75. So then I started to do all of those things that I listed earlier including running 2 cups of GFO that I changed once or twice a month. At first I used rowaphos because it was readily available but then I switched to BRS GFO and even a container of HC GFO to keep my costs down. Eventually I drew it all out of my system and now I only need 1 cup that I change every two months to maintain it at an undetectable level. Macro algae no longer grows for me, I have no more bryopsis, and my glass only needs to be cleaned once a week.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Old tank syndrome where the rocks and sand start releasing their bound up Phosphate has also been cured by using Foz Down.

I recently took over maintenance on a 240 gallon system with large fish that had been heavily fed for over 5 years. The Phosphate read 1.41mg/l on a Lamotte Smart 2 Colorimeter. After 2 weeks the Phosphate is now under control with the routine addition of small amounts of Foz Down via Profilux doser. The cost to do this was about $75 in Foz Down and 4 x 15% water changes. Time to start putting the SPS in.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 AM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
After 2 weeks the Phosphate is now under control with the routine addition of small amounts of Foz Down via Profilux doser. The cost to do this was about $75 in Foz Down and 4 x 15% water changes. Time to start putting the SPS in.
Two weeks, WOW, my concern is dropping it that fast. It might seriously shock my corals to much. But i guess I would just add smaller amounts???? Hmmm gotta do more reading. Do you have info on your website about it?

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.

Last edited by Aquattro; 04-20-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
Two weeks, WOW, my concern is dropping it that fast. It might seriously shock my corals to much. But i guess I would just add smaller amounts???? Hmmm gotta do more reading. Do you have info on your website about it?
The tank had mainly paly's and shroomz and a gorg with a few LPS, Fox Coral, Pearl Bubble and a Blasto pipe. They all did fine.

From my own system you can drop Phosphate by .25 per 48hrs with out any issues for SPS. Had a bad shipment of Trochus once :-(

Here is the link to the site http://www.oceanfreshaquarium.com/foz-down/
Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by TimT; 04-20-2012 at 06:47 AM. Reason: added link
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Duker is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the link TIM, yeah I will give it a go. And it just so happens I know where I can get my hands on a bottle. Thanks again. I will keep this thread going with my results from using it, then maybe it will help others.
:0)

75 gallon in-wall SPS dominant and some sweet zoas, attached 30 gallon refugium/seahorse tank, attached 15 gallon mangroves/bad boy tank/pod factory, 40 gallon sump.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM

Thanks Ronnie. I am sure you will find the product very effective.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 PM

FragIt Dan is on a distinguished road

I have been playing around with Brightwell Aquatics XPort PO4, which is kind of like a crouton version of GFO, but 'ultra' high capacity and not requiring fluidizing. I am down to using half the recommended dose of the same amount of HC GFO and after a couple of months am still getting Hannah PO4 readings near 0.00-0.03 with daily feedings of Reef Snow, various other (non-rinsed) foods for the fish and periodically coral frenzy and reef roids (very high in PO4) and ATO with RODI.
In terms of food rinsing, Randy HF recently wrote an article that covered sources of PO4 in the aquarium and concluded PO4 sourced from most (or maybe all) frozen foods were the major contributor to PO4 but rinsing did NOT reduce PO4 by any significant amount: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/chemistry.
I am happy with the XPort PO4 product but don't see why using more GFO wouldn't accomplish the same goal. I have some extra if anyone around Nanaimo would like to give it a try.
Dan
Save the Reef, Buy a Frag!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

So if you dose into your overflow and it goes almost immediately into a filter sock... is the foz down still as effective? And will a 200 micron sock catch the precipitate? I'd imagine that not all of the foz down would react right away and it would get through the sock itself and cause precipitation elsewhere where you can't collect it?

I have an unused doser channel so I'm curious...
Old 04-20-2012, 05:39 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

If you have phosphate issues, it is most likely caused by something YOU are doing.

Most likely overfeeding or lack of maintenance. I know, you are not "over feeding"... nobody ever does.

Try reducing feeding amounts a little. 25% max at first.

Try more water changes as well.

Adding GFO or anything else is not a solution.

Before dropping money on yet another product to dose your tank with, just try the due diligence. Trust me, you do not need a phos remover in most cases. I did aquarium maintenance for some time, and what I am saying, will work, as I have taken many client tanks from high to low readings.

Once you get it under control manually, you can use GFO or pellets to help maintain.

EVEN if you did just go GFO or something, it is going to take time. Possibly 1-2 months as if you do not change the activity causing the PO4, you are simply fighting it, not controlling.

1) 25% water change - this weekend and again next.
2) reduce feeding up to 25% - watch the fish... if they get skinny, you have gone to far, but generally not going to happen
3) after levels are reduced, use PO4 controlling substance to help keep levels down.

Good luck.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.

Last edited by paddyob; 04-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Oh yea... Forgot to add, this way is free. If you do not get results, you are not any further behind.

Patrick

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.