Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Lighting Specific

Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM

TJSlayer is on a distinguished road

In regards to J&L they probably don't have it dialed in correctly....(Be my guess)

In regards to Pacific Sun, no I haven't spent much time looking at the software as of yet, so not 100% about what they have, but as a customer I would ask them about it....

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 04-09-2011, 02:52 PM

Here is another pretty interesting article on lighting....

http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

Cheers

TJ
75G, 100 lbs LR, Inwatter Stingray LED's, 25 Gallon Sump, 24wt UV, hermits, Snails, pep, fire & cleaner shrimps, Blue Throat Trigger, Perc Clowns , Yellow Tang, Coral Beauty, Blue Regal tang, RBTA, Coral Banded Shrimp, Checkerboard Wrasse, Many Corals, Royal Tux Urchin
Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 PM

I think the orphek's are off the list as they are not dimmable at this point....
Old 04-12-2011, 04:43 AM

Well I tell you the more I read the more confuesed I get right now likeing the idea of the Prometheus lights due to the modular design, and the power.

If I ever move up in aquarium sizes I could use the same fixtures and add another if needed...

You can actually chain up to seven of them together and they will all comminicate with each other.

Two units would give more than enough light to grow anything and each unit has four boards in it that are user replacible so as bulbs change down the road you can change the lights if you desire.

As far as programability goes looks like they will do almost anything.....

As far as everything I have looked at they really do look like they really have the most to offer per dollar spent.....

But with them being so new finding info on them is tricky, but I can honestly say that everything that i have read has been good.

Decisions, Decisions
Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 AM

Myka will become famous soon enough

You could wait a few months and see what the coming reviews of the Prometheus bring.

SPS fanatic.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSlayer View Post
If I ever move up in aquarium sizes I could use the same fixtures and add another if needed...
This is the LED game lol. Unless you're upgrading a month after you purchase your fixture chances are you won't be able to buy the same thing when the time comes! It's like the gold rush
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM

So good point's there, but waiting another three months won't do much been doing that already for a long time now, there will be even more to choose from..

As far as the units themself becoming obsolete, that may or may not happen.

I know the manufacturers are designing these things so that they are replacible, and from what I have seen, all the different sized units seem to have the same basic led board in them, larger units simply have more. and even some of the newer ones have the same boards just in a different layout, so hopefully they keep in that thought going forward otherwise you could be right.

I suppose one could remove the board and manually change the led themselves as well if they had the knowledge to do so, hard to say.

But this brings up another point that worries me a little, everyone says buy from a company that has been around long term and not one that is new, because they may not be there in then next few years, etc.

But most of the companies that are offering these units are new, very few that have been around long term are offering much, and what they are offering will not work as a total replacement, only supplements...

But again that being said the lower budget offerings from companies like maxspec have been around for some time now, and they are launching their third version of led's and so far from what I have seen you can upgrade even the older models to be similar to the newer ones, and the led's can be moved up all the way to what they are offering today. So one would hope that the other players in the game take note of that.

But so far everyone is citing the replaceable aspect of components in their fixtures for the future and upgrades.

I will be interesting in the coming years for sure...

TJ
Old 04-12-2011, 02:35 PM

ALang is on a distinguished road

Been a very enlightening read. Thanks for the thread. Don't know much about LEDs, except, "I WANT ONE". So this is helping.

Just that the cost is still prohibitive for most of us. Never mind all the salient points... Just wish that ship will come in faster...
Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 PM

I just found out something recently regarding the Reeftech fixtures as well. Not sure if the others can do this or not.

But considering that the new XML chips are now comming out, and if they prove to be that good with the reeftech Light I could simply order a few boards to replace the current ones.

One thing I'm not sure about is wether or not I could replace say one or two of the boards with the XML or if I would have to do all four (In each light)

But could make for some interesting possibilities down the road...

TJ
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Bblinks is on a distinguished road

WOW. Those xml are pretty crazy. Can;t wait till see those bad boys inside a fixture...just not from them.

300DD - 140DD

TOTM Fall 2013

Last edited by Bblinks; 04-12-2011 at 08:49 PM.