Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Follows the rules!

Coasting is on a distinguished road
Default My stupid re-silicone questions!

So i'm trying to re-seal a tank right now, I think I'm doing it properly (Yeah right... this is hard)! Do I have to remove the silicone along the bottom inside of the tank even if it still looks good? What about when I get to the top where the black plastic rim is? There are chunks up in the corners I'm finding hard to reach, are those necessary to totally remove if the water wont be going that high?

Anyone in the area want to come help? LOL.. I can provide drinks....

BTW home hardware has the aquarium safe silicone on sale $2.46 each!
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...5?Ntt=silicone
Old 09-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

When I've resealed tanks, I've removed all the silicone on all edges. I always take the top brace off so that I can clean under it.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

Yes you need to remove all the silicone from the bottom and sides, get as high as you can in the corners, use painters tape on the vertical corners to get a nice even finish, don't worry about taping the bottom as you can't see it anyway. Silicone doesn't stick to cured silicone.
There are some good videos on youtube.
I used Homehardware silicone on my sump and it turned yellow after a while.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

What are you using to smooth it out?

I use a handy little tool that plugs onto the end of the tube, and ejects the silicone through a tiny hole right in front of a nice rounded smoothing edge. They are like $6 at the local hardware. You never have to worry about uneven silicone anywhere.

DEFINITELY remove all the old silicone. Use a razorblade to scrape ALL of it off the glass. Then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. Mask the whole tank with painters tape before starting to re-silicone. That way you can peel away the tape after siliconing to have nice straight edges. That combined with a nice smoothing tool and you'll get good results.

Here is a link to the tool (in the middle) and the two other ones that are very helpfull.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/in...ppz/R-I2034700

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 09-13-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Follows the rules!

I dont think I will have a problem re-sealing it (haven't gotten that far yet) I'm still in the process of trying to take all the old silicone out. But this removing of the old silicone around the bottom is exhausting, holy cow I dont know how anyone does this! All 4 sides are done, and 1/3 of the base is done. The corners are the hardest . I dont think I will be able to get the top black brace off, it's really siliconed on there.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Cal_stir is on a distinguished road

fresh razor blades is the trick, they dull fast making it tough.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Follows the rules!

Of coarse now that I'm almost done I find my blade holder.... 2 new blades left and 1/6th of the bottom. So worth paying somebody else to do. I think I fill finish getting the bulk of it off today, then do the tidy up and get the fine stuff off tomorrow and hopefully seal it back up.

Still unsure in regards to the top brace about what to do.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:48 PM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

GE also makes a silicone remover,it takes of the remaining silicone film off the razer just cant seem to get.paint it on let it sit and it all wipes off with paper towel.Use vinegar or methl hydrate to wipe the seams after to remove all traces of the paste and you're good to go.Most hardware stores will have it (did 10 years in bathroom reno's re-siliconing acrylic showerstalls so I know it works.)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 AM
Follows the rules!

I would just worry about it ruining the silicone inbetween the panes of glass. I dont want to totally take it apart. But I'm paranoid like that.
done silicone removing for today, still have 2 fresh blades to hopefully get the last little bits off. Those corners are hard. My fingers are numb.
What to do about the top.
How thick should the beads along the side be? Obviously thicker then what was on there, those were sad looking...
Old 09-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Follows the rules!

Hey guys I'm really not sure what to do about this top brace. It is really stuck on there. I had quite a bit of trouble trying to get the silicone in the top corners off. But its flush with where the bottom of the top brace is on the inside. Is this okay? I dont think I can physically take this brace off with out breaking something. I can do some serious globs of silocone in the top so it goes over and past where the old silicone in there is if that will help, but the water wont be going that high anyway.

I have the rest of the inside cleaned and ready to go, I was hoping to seal it up tonight. But want confirmation about the top brace. Will pictures help?