Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Buy/Sell/Trade > Buy/Sell/Trade (Aquatics hardware related only)

Old 03-12-2015, 01:41 AM

maron6977 is on a distinguished road
Default LF basic Controller - Temp. GVRD

Hi, I'm new to controllers . Just want one to run my temp. Gets too cold runs heater (poss. 2) & too hot will run fan or chiller. Don't want to spend a ton & don't need all the whistles & bells . Just something accurate & works .
Open to suggestions if anyone reads this & has input .
Thanks Mark
Old 03-12-2015, 06:02 AM

mkj is an unknown quantity at this point

no controller needed if only for heaters and chiller. They have built in temp control.

But, if you really must have a controller then a simple Apex Junior will suffice for what you want.. Controller is a waste of money for just keeping temps.

Last edited by mkj; 03-12-2015 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:30 PM

CM125 is on a distinguished road

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/products/temp_controllers/

Comes in dual stage, good for running heaters and fans with no temp sensor. Should be under $200.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Zoa Hoarder

davej is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkj View Post
Controller is a waste of money for just keeping temps.
I completely disagree.
If you have a fair sum of money invested in your tank inhabitants, be it fish, plants or corals. A controller is a fantastic investment.
I have more than one and would recommend a reefkeeper lite, you can usually pick one up used for around $100. I has a four outlet powerbar, the power on all four are switchable and controlled by the parameters you choose. You can have your heater plugged into one and it will come on when your temp drops below the set point. You can have a fan in another that will come on if tank temp gets above your set point as well. Still leaving two outlets for lighting control or whatever you choose.The programming is dead simple.
Good luck
Old 03-12-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej View Post
I completely disagree.
If you have a fair sum of money invested in your tank inhabitants, be it fish, plants or corals. A controller is a fantastic investment.
I have more than one and would recommend a reefkeeper lite, you can usually pick one up used for around $100. I has a four outlet powerbar, the power on all four are switchable and controlled by the parameters you choose. You can have your heater plugged into one and it will come on when your temp drops below the set point. You can have a fan in another that will come on if tank temp gets above your set point as well. Still leaving two outlets for lighting control or whatever you choose.The programming is dead simple.
Good luck
Are you talking about the Apex Junior?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:43 PM

Ryanerickson is on a distinguished road

Controller is totally not a waste of money for just heating cooling, heaters break and get stuck in the on position often. without controller your tank becomes a hot tub. also reefkeeper is I think 120 new, lot cheaper then apex jr.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanerickson View Post
Controller is totally not a waste of money for just heating cooling, heaters break and get stuck in the on position often. without controller your tank becomes a hot tub. also reefkeeper is I think 120 new, lot cheaper then apex jr.
Do you have a link to reefkeeper?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:39 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Reefkeeper Lite

Ranco dual stage temp controller

If you want dirt cheap, can wire it yourself and don't plan on needing expandability;
Ranco single stage temp controller (not pre-wired)
Old 03-12-2015, 06:59 PM

mkj is an unknown quantity at this point

throw your money away then, advertising got you guys. statistically controllers error/brake more often than heaters do.

I agree for large expensive tanks but someone who just wants temp control and nothing else doesn't have a large expensive tank or they would get all the bells and whistles. If they spent thousands of dollars on a tank they would get a proper controller if concerned with crash. Every heater I have ever owned has lasted more than a decade "my experience only". I cant say the same about my controllers. I do use one though because I also have thousands in my tank but it controllers many things not just temps. I don't own a cooler because I have air-conditioning.

To each as their own, that is why I recommended a controller even though I think for his situation it sounds like he doesn't need one. Not knowing more information though I'll just leave it at that. Reefkeeper suck by the way and don't get me started about their customer service. Well known to be not up to par right now.

Last edited by mkj; 03-12-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkj View Post
Reefkeeper suck by the way and don't get me started about their customer service
Don't know what problems you've had, but my only customer service experience with them was good.
And I've been running my controller for coming up on 3 years without issues