Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 10-03-2013, 04:14 AM

Jessie is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie with a Nano

I thought I'd stop creepin' the boards and introduce myself, I am brand new to saltwater...and to be more honest, I'm brand new to having an aquarium of any kind. I do have pond experience w/goldies but that is very limited at best.
So, I'm on day 2 of cycling my 29g tank w/live rock. I am using a Fluval 305 canister pump and have a Maxspect Razor 60W 10000k. I am still searching for a hob skimmer (really want a low profile one) and haven't installed any power heads yet. How am I doing so far? Sounds like I might know a thing or too but it's all a façade. I took a look in my tank tonight and low and behold something is growing!!! I can't tell you how excited (and frankly proud of myself) I was - I thought "look at me, day 2 and I'm already growing something!"...turns out I'm growing aiptasia...and had it not been for canreef I may have continued in blissful ignorance as my tank dandelions multiplied lol. Anyway, went to the drug store and had the awkward conversation about needing a needle to hunt anemone (just in case asking for a needle wasn't suspect enough) - I made sure to bring a picture of my nemesis just in case I needed proof (which I did). Got home, and proceeded with my hunt; took a couple full syringes of lemon juice but I think I may have gotten them. I'll find out tomorrow. So, thank you Canreef posters for helping out this newbie with a nano (though to me, my tank is a monstrosity), I'm sure I will be seeking more advice along the way.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you are well on your way! And welcome to The Canreef :-)
Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef and good start.

Once your done cycling your tank you might want to throw a couple of peppermint shrimp in because no matter how hard you hunt out the aptasia you will never get it all it might take them awhile to do it but the shrimp will eventually eat all your aptasia up.

Keep it up off to a running start and remember ask questions if your not sure
Old 10-03-2013, 06:09 AM

thmh is on a distinguished road

Welcome to canreef!

~Tony
Old 10-03-2013, 06:28 AM

typezero is on a distinguished road

WELCOME!
Old 10-03-2013, 02:31 PM

AdamsB is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the addiction. Sounds like a nice setup. I know the early stages of a new setup are my favourite. Particularly with new live rock, never know what goodies (and baddies) you may get.

As for protein skimmers, I've had the aqua c remora and enjoyed it. But if you add the surface skimmer/micro bubble trap inside the tank it turns out looking like a shaw box in your fish tank. Check J&L online. Free shipping over 100 bucks and their prices are hard to beat. Shoot them an email even an let them know what it is you want/need.

Also post a few pictures, everyone loves pics!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Jessie is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the great welcome! Here is a couple pics of the tank, they're not the greatest since it's just from my iphone.

My Tank1.JPG

My Tank2.JPG

AHHH, THIS hobby is NOT for the faint at heart! I have gross, gross worms crawling out of tiny holes on one of my live rocks. Bleh. Obviously night time creatures. I don't know if it's 2 or 3 or 4 or 1 with 3 heads??? lol. What ever that is it better get the heck back in the rock cause it's ugly. Well, I think all worms are ugly so this isn't especially ugly with legs or tentacles or anything. I still don't like it though. I bought this rock "used" from someone else's aquarium they were taking down, the sand is from that aquarium too. And apparently, so are the critters I hope that is the end of the surprises.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Azzkr is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you have a bristle worm living in the rocks.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 PM

newsaltfan is on a distinguished road

Being that you are using a canister you may want to invesigate this little contraptions. now i've never used one but these allow skimming from the surface as well as intake from the bottom. maybe other can give opinions if they are worth trying. i think they are like $20 if that.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:42 PM

ponokareefer is on a distinguished road

Canister filters tend to cause a lot of problems unless you clean them every other day. They aren't recommended for salt water. Your live rock will act as a filter for you, and a skimmer will do the rest.

As for the aiptasia, I'd get the rock that has it out of the tank. You might be able to get rid of it, but you might not. I wouldn't take the risk since you are just starting out. They can become a nightmare, and that's the last thing you want just starting out.

Good luck!