Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 PM

RPatsula is on a distinguished road
Default Red algae cleanup question

Hello, it seems that I have some cyano red algae to starting to grow on top of my sand bed. From what I have read on the majority of the posts here is that I should be doing regular water changes and making sure I am not overfeeding my fish. Currently the algae patch is approximately 6 inches in diameter. My tank is approximately 230 gallons with the following equipment: 4 radion led lights, 2 mp40's 2 mp10's, vertech 280 skimmer, BRS activated carbon/GFO reactor, RO/DI auto top up and water change water, 120 gallon sump. I am doing about 15% weekly water change and I'm currently subscribing to the Prodibio nutrient Regiment. I currently only have nine fish and approximately 5 soft corals, my clean up crew consists of about 40 snails and 40 crabs. My tank is only about four months old. I will take a picture of my tank and problem area tonight and post it later on tonight.

My question is can I use a freshwater gravel cleaner to siphon out the red algae into a bucket and throw it away? My sand is very fine so I'm assuming some of that would end up in the siphon as well. Or is there another way of getting rid of this stuff. I used to have a diamondback goby but he died about a month ago, should I just get another one of them to clean up the problem.

Thank you
Rick