Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 09-24-2011, 12:04 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
I imagine that if said LFS was so negligent in action, returning the fish would only be condemning it to a certain death. Thus being the case, returning the fish would be an irresponsible act on my part. This leaves me but one reasonable and practicable course of action, keep the fish and look after it's welfare to the best of my ability.

I also have a Feather Starfish housed in this tank, it arrived as a hitchhiker in some live rock. All the research I've done to date in reference to this stowaway reports that keeping it alive for any period of time in a home reef tank is impossible. It's been in my care for more than a year now showing no evidence of decline.
Cale for many years every LFS had Moorish Idol in their stores. It was when reefers got educated and basically boycotted buying them when importing stopped. It was tough to see these fish slowly decline and suffer and die in the LFS but than the LFS stopped ordering them.
I agree with you. Keep it and do the best that you can.

Codfather your recommendation which leads reefers especially newbies to buy Moorish Idol is totally irresponsible. This fish is virtually impossible to keep.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:18 AM

Hustler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
BS. Im sorry, but I've kept Idols for years. And once my tank is set up, I plan on getting them again. Every post I read of your says the same thing. They are just like any other fish. Do your research and you will have success.

Well said
I would keep it in a heartbeat.... you never know... it may get sick of em and you will have them back
Old 09-24-2011, 03:14 AM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Cale for many years every LFS had Moorish Idol in their stores. It was when reefers got educated and basically boycotted buying them when importing stopped. It was tough to see these fish slowly decline and suffer and die in the LFS but than the LFS stopped ordering them.
I agree with you. Keep it and do the best that you can.

Codfather your recommendation which leads reefers especially newbies to buy Moorish Idol is totally irresponsible. This fish is virtually impossible to keep.
I don't recall recommending anything to a noobie. What I said was if you research, you will have success. Through research you will find that this is not a beginner fish and it needs special conditions. If you can meet those conditions, you'll have success. If you can't figure that out, you probably won't have any success at this hobby.
Sorry Brian for hijacking your thread. I get tired of hearing the same thing over and over. I think it's great that you have an active idol, they are as far as im concerned one of the most beautiful fish you can get.