Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
Prices vary depending on how much shipping was charged on the whole order: for example, sometimes if you do a larger order the supplier will give you a break on shipping, but sometimes the larger order costs more to ship depending on weight. Also where the shipment comes from (indo shipments are usually cheeper then anywhere else) will effect the price. Sometimes a supplier has a special on certain fish making that fish cheeper then normal and then there are certain times of the year were certain fish are less available then other times driving up the price of that fish. Also weather effects prices, if there is a storm somewhere, they charge more for shipping or sometimes delay shipping all together.

So needless to say there are many factors to take into consideration that will change the price of the same fish from store to store.
Well put Laurie. There are brazillion variables that go into the pricing of livestock in this hobby.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM

asylumdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Prices vary depending on how much shipping was charged on the whole order: for example, sometimes if you do a larger order the supplier will give you a break on shipping, but sometimes the larger order costs more to ship depending on weight. Also where the shipment comes from (indo shipments are usually cheeper then anywhere else) will effect the price. Sometimes a supplier has a special on certain fish making that fish cheeper then normal and then there are certain times of the year were certain fish are less available then other times driving up the price of that fish. Also weather effects prices, if there is a storm somewhere, they charge more for shipping or sometimes delay shipping all together.

So needless to say there are many factors to take into consideration that will change the price of the same fish from store to store.
+1 It would be nice if prices were a little more consistent and reliable, but unlike pencils or hard drives, our fish don't come from centralized factories that can ramp production up and down purely depending on demand (nor should they). Each fish order is a unique transaction in which the LFS will pay a specific price that may or may not reflect what the same guy down the street had to pay for the same fish the week before. I remember just a few short months ago, purple tangs were around 80 bucks a piece, and now you can't find them in town for less than 200.

That being said, I do wish there was a little more transparency, though to be fair to the LFS in Calgary, even the ones where I don't see prices listed have been remarkably consistent to me, as in, the prices on a single species never seems to swing too wildly year over year unless there is a bigger economic reason for it to have done so (throttled supply of Hawaiian or Red Sea endemics, for example). The LFS owner would need to have a fantastic memory to remember what he quoted me on that species of fish a year ago and give it to me again last week if he was changing the price based on the customer.

What gets me worse than the un-listed prices is the amount of loss the fish stores in town seem to experience. I'd be way happier with high prices if I knew the premium I was paying was because a rigorous, behind the scenes quarantine and acclimation protocol had been followed before showing up in the display tanks, and not because the markup needs to be high enough to offset the number of fish who starve to death or die of treatable disease before someone buys them. To the best of my knowledge, none of the stores in Calgary do that - fish go from the bags they come in right to the sale tanks, when they should at least get one of the major 3 recognized ich treatments in the back for a few weeks while they're carefully acclimated to captive foods before being sold. It makes me want to open my own store.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I sat down with my LFS and we tried to figure out the cost of a proper QT system to cover a new shipment of fish every other week. Roughly, we calculated a yellow tang would cost about $400 to offset the costs required to QT all new fish (for a 6 week period).
Uh, no thanks, I'll do my own QT
Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM

SoloSK71 is on a distinguished road

Picking one specific but nameless store, if you can't or won't treat your livestock properly and that causes loss and increased prices, then I will refuse to buy from you. Prices at some stores are high because they appear to be the cause of their own losses.

During a recent trip that came after a couple of orders arrived at the store I observed the following:

1) 3 times i saw staff open shipping bags and dump stock into tanks with no acclimitization at all
2) 3 tanks with companion fish/coral pairings where the coral was not secured and was being washed around the tank and being stung by other corals as well as hitting rock
3) 2 tanks of snail species that are not able to turn themselves over packed so tight that there were towers of snails 5 high and multiple snails upside down and dead
4) Multiple tanks with non-reef safe species in with incompatible species, or aggressive species mixed together

Charles

Success in this hobby does not count how you spend your money, it counts how you spend your time.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Chief Hill is on a distinguished road

Its no worse than our LFS that posts prices about 75% higher than their worth. Then they say Ill sell it for this much instead like your getting some kind of a "deal".

Then the new price IS STILL higher than you can find elsewhere on the net.
I find the majority here are a Bunch of BS'in fools that will tell you whatever you need to sell somthing.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I sat down with my LFS and we tried to figure out the cost of a proper QT system to cover a new shipment of fish every other week. Roughly, we calculated a yellow tang would cost about $400 to offset the costs required to QT all new fish (for a 6 week period).
Uh, no thanks, I'll do my own QT
Aquarium illusions has a proper QT system in the back of the store (5 rows of tanks on 3 different systems if I am remembering right) were they QT new fish for 2 weeks and do treatments in if/when needed. Now I know 6 weeks would be better but 2 weeks usually catches most illness and if there are fish that need special treatments those fish stay in QT until the required treatment is done.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Aquarium illusions has a proper QT system in the back of the store (5 rows of tanks on 3 different systems if I am remembering right) were they QT new fish for 2 weeks and do treatments in if/when needed. Now I know 6 weeks would be better but 2 weeks usually catches most illness and if there are fish that need special treatments those fish stay in QT until the required treatment is done.
I wouldn't pay anymore for a fish with 2 weeks QT. I also wouldn't consider it quarantined and would have to do the 6 weeks myself. So while it's a nice gesture, that's all it really is, IMO