Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-13-2011, 03:39 AM

beefORchicken is on a distinguished road

#2 looks like bryopsis to me. could be bad, i've heard its the worst kind. Heres a good ID page with solutions to different nuisance algaes. http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.ph...d=54&Itemid=81
Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 AM

Corbin is on a distinguished road

heh well lucky i looked at the thread, i have the 3rd one was always wondeirng what it was
Old 10-14-2011, 06:24 AM

CandyCane is on a distinguished road

If you keep your lights on for long periods durring the day I'd recomend shortening to only 6 hrs a day or less while the algea is such great amounts
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 AM

Beanz is on a distinguished road

Ya I recently shortened the photo period my MH was on, they are now on for 6hrs a day. The algae pictured in number 2 is definitely feather caulerpa cause it was growing on a runner. I picked off all of this feather caulerpa,the other caulerpa, neomeris annulata, and scrubbed pretty much every rock off with a toothbrush and plan on picking up an emerald crab and some turbo snails. Also why is it bad to use distilled water? I have a little distiller that boils the water and then it condenses it and it just collects in a container. I am saving up for a RO/DI but don't know how soon I will be able to get one.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:51 AM

CandyCane is on a distinguished road

As far as I know distilled water and rodi water are both the same in the end however distilled water is a lot more expensive.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:37 AM

Wayne is on a distinguished road

Um you might need to take more extreme measure to get your algea under control, I would suggest removing your rocks one at a time and manually removing algea, rinsing it and putting it back. For long term removal you can start running GFO, Zeo, or NP pellets aswell as a CUC.

How old are you lights? How often do you do water changes? Do you rinse your food? What size of skimmer? This is going to help determine what is causing the algea.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:35 AM

Beanz is on a distinguished road

I pulled a lot of it off the rocks and scrubbed them down and I am gonna grab some turbo snails and an emerald pretty quick here for a more hair algae oriented CUC. I am running Eco Phos phosphate and silicate remover in a TLF phosban reactor right now and have been replacing it every month.

My t5s aren't that old but as for my MH I cant say cause I got it used. I do a 10% WC every week, I rinse the food. and i just have a bio cube skimmer right now but am looking into upgrading that soon.