Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Sign me up, size 9
I bet your back would feel better too
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I bet your back would feel better too
Thankfully my back is feeling much better after 6 Chiro appointments, 3 messages & 4 days of ice packs.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 08-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Administrator

titus has disabled reputation

Hello,

Guys I see comments about profit / lose interest / shut down / selling, etc. While I have said so in the past but guess it's been a while since the site has been around for a while also. I feel no pinch of having to sell or shut down if this turns out to be out of my pocket. End of story.

And this is not a forum with which I'll toy around with. And no we can't host it for $50 a month. We started out that way and have already expanded beyond that long time ago. I don't know of $50 sites that will do triple backup between North America and Asia with quadruple data redundancy, or have to ship our own firewall to the data center because that's how serious we are with the infrastructure.

For the last 3 years since I started my new job I have been trying to do either an upgrade to vBulletin so we can add more features (bought vBulletin 4 CMS before it came out) or introduce new functionalities on top of a pure forum. We deployed it to the UAT section but didn't went through everything or felt happy with the work so I dropped the idea of going live with it. The point is if I'm not happy with it I'm not comfortable to let it go live. Unfortunately my current job hasn't been that facilitating (on Tuesday I left work at 2:30 am and I start quite early) either.

Titus
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM

jorjef is on a distinguished road

It was the acorn.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Magickiwi is on a distinguished road

Have you ever worked with someone that you so desperately wanted to punch in the back of the head?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Have you ever worked with someone that you so desperately wanted to punch in the back of the head?
Yup.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:46 PM

Proteus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magickiwi View Post
Nope. I'd rather they see it coming
Old 08-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus99 View Post
Nope. I'd rather they see it coming

Hahahahaha me too. Nothing better than seeing the fear on their face when the impending doom they are about to face becomes a reality to them!

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

I want to punch my iPhone in the face! Stupid piece of garbage refuses to update any of my apps! Just sits there, "Waiting". Waiting for what?!?! Update my damn apps FFS!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 08-22-2013, 02:33 PM

michika is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
My household income today is more or less the same it was 10 years ago, but the costs of everything that is being paid for - and I mean just simple things, like groceries, gas, insurance, etc. - is several orders of magnitude different in that timeframe. Add on top of that the optionals it gets even worse. The choices are "earn more" or "spend less". Neither option may be all that straightforward though. Hard to say.
^^ This is pretty much exactly what I was getting at.

I don't play keeping up with the Joneses I learned a long long time ago that its not worth it. I found out a couple months before leaving for post-secondary that my parents weren't going to help me out and without the option of student loans my only recourse was to work AND go to school at the same time. I'm a very money conscious person now, kind of the result of being poverty level or below for much of my post-secondary career. I was lucky enough though to discover reefing after I'd gotten a little more settled financially. I've also learned you can only downsize so much and give up so much before you've crossed some arbitrary line that society will think you "weird".

I watch my peers literally run out the day their bonuses or stock options come available to spend it on new cars and fancy tech. Then again I also watch the entry level people struggle with their much smaller (if any) bonuses and I see the same thing happening on a smaller scale - the rush to spend.

This commentary has been popping up more and more often within my circle of friends and it was pretty interesting to see the commentary this generated.