Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

whooooo!!! more good luck... My skimmer overflowed AGAIN last night... Awesome!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

Damn man, I have been following this thread on Nano-reef and Canreef. It seems like this hobby is throwing quite a bit of curve balls at you. But you got the grapes to last this long and to even willing reset the tank. Therefore more reason to give her because when something good happens it will be that much better!

I have a SRO in my tank, I found that playing with the gate really messed with the skimmer water levels. So I left mine all the way open, built a little egg crate stand to raise it so it has about 5 inches of water. I think the key to mine running was to allow the open gate to be above the water line so there isn't any back pressure running back into the exit. When I had it below the water line even the slightest, it would flood every 3-4 days, it would gradually creep up while I was at work and when I got home the skimmer would of emptied it self back into the tank.

Stanley
Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqlmao View Post
Damn man, I have been following this thread on Nano-reef and Canreef. It seems like this hobby is throwing quite a bit of curve balls at you. But you got the grapes to last this long and to even willing reset the tank. Therefore more reason to give her because when something good happens it will be that much better!

I have a SRO in my tank, I found that playing with the gate really messed with the skimmer water levels. So I left mine all the way open, built a little egg crate stand to raise it so it has about 5 inches of water. I think the key to mine running was to allow the open gate to be above the water line so there isn't any back pressure running back into the exit. When I had it below the water line even the slightest, it would flood every 3-4 days, it would gradually creep up while I was at work and when I got home the skimmer would of emptied it self back into the tank.

Stanley
Oh I have the egg stand too.. has helped with skimming (as it dumped about half a cup of BLACK skimmate back into the tank last night) but I don't think I can get the gate valve above the line and still get the performance out of it.

My office tank is basically on auto-pilot right now. I feed the fish, clean the skimmer cup once a week, and scrape the glass every few days. Although it is due for a water change, but otherwise nothing to complain about *knocks on glass*... This tank at home has been a constant headache for 11 months.

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
This tank at home has been a constant headache for 11 months.
Maybe you were giving it too much attention, and rushing it. Corals (esp SPS) like stability.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM

gqlmao is on a distinguished road

True, what I have noticed is that my skimmer isn't truly skimming wet and can never be with this height. Its rather in between both wet and dry due to the water level being lower and not being able to adjust the water to the appropriate neck height is a bummer. I have crude building up 3 inches before the neck due to the lower water levels. Its frustrating to not be able to dial in a piece of equipment at the risk of overflowing, especially when its considered reef octopus' higher end line and a mid range skimmer in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDigital View Post
Oh I have the egg stand too.. has helped with skimming (as it dumped about half a cup of BLACK skimmate back into the tank last night) but I don't think I can get the gate valve above the line and still get the performance out of it.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

denny_C is on a distinguished road

you know my thoughts lol :P:P:P
Old 11-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

just do it!!!

im off thurs and fri so we can do it anytime then if you like , weekend im can do it to if its later in the day

what do you have to lose right?
Old 11-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny@concept View Post
just do it!!!

im off thurs and fri so we can do it anytime then if you like , weekend im can do it to if its later in the day

what do you have to lose right?
are you guys eloping or working on the tank. stop being so mysterious Denny!
Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
are you guys eloping or working on the tank. stop being so mysterious Denny!
working on the tank..........i think

i invented a new product its a clear water like substance and the process is basically you remove all your old dry rock , replace with live rock and then do a very large water change , add a few drops of my product into a prayer reactor and allow tyhe tank to settle down , soon enough and walla instant turn around

yes it will be available to everyone soon enough:P
Old 11-19-2013, 04:08 PM

I know Denny... It's just a matter of finding the time. Maybe I will use my last vacation day on friday and get this sorted out.