Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 AM

Moose is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Question about Zeovit?

I have been running zeovit for two weeks and have noticed the most amazing changes to my tank but yesturday I had a small Cyano outbreak and today I noticed green hair algae or what looks to be green hair algae in a high flow area attached to some SPS are these two problems related to zeovit and how can I correct it? as well my PH has gone up to 8.6 and have had a nitrate spike on a hagen test kit it's a 10.

(150 Gal reef) profilux ll controller, 2GHL LED strips, 2 Hamilton 250 W MH, 5-2' 65w T-5's, 2 6100 Tunze's, RC 135 Euro Reef skim, dual chamber Calcium reactor, marine tech kalkwasser reactor and now zeovit
Old 09-12-2007, 03:25 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

You would be far better off to post this question on zeovit.com as that is where the experts with this system hang out.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

First off, scrap the Hagen's for better test kits

Now that that's out of the way, let's get to the problem solving:

1. How old is your tank, what's your tank's net water volume and parameters? (Ca, Mg, dkH, etc)

2. What is the set up like? Any additional filtration? (UV, Phosban, Ozone, Skimmer, etc)

3. What kind of maintanance do you employ?

4. What is your dosing schedule?

5. Any previous problems with the tank?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 AM

My tank is over a year old
Parameters:
CA 420, MG 1150 Alk 115 Phos undetectable
Total water volume 180gal
Euro reef RS 135 Biophos 3 (Phosphate remover) German activated carbon
RO/DI water
Maint. Various puttering sand bed filtering blow the rocks off with power head scape glass clean skimmer and power heads 30 gal water change all done weekly auto top off as well
Dose daily eight drops Zeobak Zeofood 7 and aminoacid Stir zeolites every other day
Only other previous problem was with my tangs every tang I have bought recently has died except my purple tang and it's not ick it's a mystery there are no physical signs of sickness on them or odd behavior

(150 Gal reef) profilux ll controller, 2GHL LED strips, 2 Hamilton 250 W MH, 5-2' 65w T-5's, 2 6100 Tunze's, RC 135 Euro Reef skim, dual chamber Calcium reactor, marine tech kalkwasser reactor and now zeovit
Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
My tank is over a year old
Parameters:
CA 420, MG 1150 Alk 115 Phos undetectable
Total water volume 180gal
Euro reef RS 135 Biophos 3 (Phosphate remover) German activated carbon
RO/DI water
Maint. Various puttering sand bed filtering blow the rocks off with power head scape glass clean skimmer and power heads 30 gal water change all done weekly auto top off as well
Dose daily eight drops Zeobak Zeofood 7 and aminoacid Stir zeolites every other day
Only other previous problem was with my tangs every tang I have bought recently has died except my purple tang and it's not ick it's a mystery there are no physical signs of sickness on them or odd behavior
Alk 115? As in 11.5?

If it's that high, you're going to have to let it drop down. Zeovit does NOT work past dkH 7.8 or so. Just stop dosing any Alk supplements and monitor changes.

Also, ditch Biophos. Non-compatible with Zeovit.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 AM

What should I use instead of biophos and how do I get my alk down should I turn off my calcium reactor for awhile or not use it at all by the way thanks fo rthe help

Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Moose,
you should not need Biophos or a replacment on ZEO. Once your officially at the 2 week mark on;y does Bac and Food every 2 to 3 days.
Also what is your current ZeoStart dose?

Initially you will notice a minor algea bloom but things should settle down by your first ZEOLith change.
And as Albert said get your ALK down. You will need to shut all sources of ALK (CA reactor) down until it reaches good levels.

J
Old 09-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
You would be far better off to post this question on zeovit.com as that is where the experts with this system hang out.
See, he is getting help on Canreef. I thought we had several zeo users, as well as retailers.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
Alk 115? As in 11.5?

If it's that high, you're going to have to let it drop down. Zeovit does NOT work past dkH 7.8 or so. Just stop dosing any Alk supplements and monitor changes.

Also, ditch Biophos. Non-compatible with Zeovit.
Moose what kit are you using to measure alk. If it is hagen as well, then the alk may just be a bit on the low side (I forgot the conversion formula)

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Jason I haven't used Zeo start I was told i didn't need it because my tank was established and you said I shouldn't need a phos lock at all? Is this right?

Marie I have been usinga hagen test kit I will be switching to Elos it's what I use for MG and Phos4
My other levels are monitored by GHL controller