Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-13-2010, 04:51 PM

Sean is on a distinguished road

I got a small nano cube in my appartment. One thing I would suggest is either an A/C unit or a chiller for the aquaruim. My experience with condo/appartments are that they tend to be extremely warm.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:30 PM

torrid_07 is on a distinguished road
Default tanks

i have a 5g nano and a 29g bio cube in my 3 bdrm apartment on the 3rd floor which is wood frame.
i previously had a 75g but it took up too much space so i downsized
i definitely would recommend advanced insurance though
Old 11-14-2010, 07:36 AM

Beccadawn is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone for your help. Deep down I knew that my tank was most going to be too big, but I just love it so much. But I would feel terrible if it went through the floor. (Hubby's main concern not to mention possible water damage if it let go...) I put an offer in tonight on a condo, not ground level though... My current tank setup is 44 x 31 x 28.5 for the top tank, then I have a 70 gallon sump with the middle as the 1st refugium, then I have it plumbed into another 70 gallon under the larger tank that is another refugium seahorse/slow fish tank. I can separate it apart, but it's such a shame as I was making it into a bar with stools, it's peninsula tank so you can view both tanks from the 3 sides, and the bar is on one side, it comes in handy for water testing/cutting coral, eating & standing on. I'll have to post some pictures one day so you have an idea what I'm talking about. I haven't even gotten to finish the facing yet!

Thanks again,
Becky
Old 11-14-2010, 08:41 AM

lobsterboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenz0 View Post
I know a certain someone on here has a 150gal on the 6th floor. but ceriously, make sure its concrete
Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 300G (total water volume) system in my condo for a year or so. I would say the size isn't the problem but having the space for proper equipment and maintenance is.

My strata by laws don't say anything about fish or aquariums at all. Just 2 pets per condo. The aquarium counts as one. We have 4 pets in that case which is pretty normal for our building...I know a few people have 3 dogs and strata doesn't care at all. Someone above me has a 250G freshwater. Strata knows about it...he's on the board actually. He said they just wanted to know about his insurance.

Building is 10" thick concrete floors and all concrete walls between all the units, so you can't hear a thing other than in the hallway (through the front door).

I don't think its easy to find a building with the concrete walls but I leaked about 80G of water onto our floors last year from my RO unit and not a drop went through to anyone elses place. Water just pools up and stays on our floors.

Good luck.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 AM

wolf_bluejay is on a distinguished road
Default The strata act and why...

I live in a strata (townhouses not condo), and I've got 220 + sump in my place. I'm also the chair of the strata.
What is important here is where the bylaw comes from, as we have the EXACT same wording as will a whole lot of other strata. The reason it is there is when the condo act became the strata act, there was a "default" set of bylaws that automatically became the bylaw, so it is not that the strata has a problem with fish tanks, or dog, or cats or anything -- it is just that nobody sees a need to modify the bylaw.

Since it is written with the term "reasonable" number of fish has some neat twists to it -- I have 8 fish, a big tank, but only 8 fish. Generally speaking this is not a battle that any strata council would care to get into a fight over as if it came down to court, the strata would probably lose.

The short and sweet -- Don't make it a problem for your neighbors, and no one will care. Make sure you are not pushing the limits of the load capability of the building and don't flood anyone below you is you have anyone underneath.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM

untamed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_bluejay View Post
I live in a strata (townhouses not condo), and I've got 220 + sump in my place. I'm also the chair of the strata.
What is important here is where the bylaw comes from, as we have the EXACT same wording as will a whole lot of other strata. The reason it is there is when the condo act became the strata act, there was a "default" set of bylaws that automatically became the bylaw, so it is not that the strata has a problem with fish tanks, or dog, or cats or anything -- it is just that nobody sees a need to modify the bylaw.

Since it is written with the term "reasonable" number of fish has some neat twists to it -- I have 8 fish, a big tank, but only 8 fish. Generally speaking this is not a battle that any strata council would care to get into a fight over as if it came down to court, the strata would probably lose.

The short and sweet -- Don't make it a problem for your neighbors, and no one will care. Make sure you are not pushing the limits of the load capability of the building and don't flood anyone below you is you have anyone underneath.
This is the same as my situation. Same bylaw. I elected NOT to bring it up because that was just asking for trouble. In my case, I have 16 fish...which I consider "reasonable" so no specific council permission would be required. (I have over 500 gallons of water, though!).
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436