Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 AM

darb is on a distinguished road
Default Bubbles Out of Return Line

I finally got my first sump going and have noticed that from time to time I get bubbles out of my return line.

It is a 90 Aqueon RR with the Aqueon return kit being fed by a mag 95 through 3/4' flex pvc with plenty of water over the pump.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

What kind of bubbles are they like micro bubbles ? Are you running a skimmer? It could be bubbles from too much flow through the sump or I have seen a poorly glued fitting with the water running past it wasn't leaking but would pull in air. That I see the mag is at 950 gph it could be too much turnover through the sump they recommend usually 3 to 5 times. The thought behind this is the water is flowing too fast for bubbles too settle out and can become turbulent. Do you have a ball valve on the return ?

360 Reef Tank

Last edited by BlueTang<3; 01-09-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:33 AM

No skimmer, they are larger bubbles and come out of the return line nozzles from time to time, kind of like air is building up and getting pushed out.

I may have done a poor glue job, but in the terms of plenty of glue plus the requisite priming and twisting of the fitting to set it. If I was drawing air in it would possibly make a hissing or whistling noise or perhaps drip with the pump off; I will try that.

That's 950 at zero head, I am going up 4 feet and through a 90 and ball valve, so whatever that works out to be; I am guessing 6 or 700. I will crack the ball valve and see if a reduced flow solves the problem.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Sounds like you have air being drawn in at a joint or your water level above you return pump is to low and drawing in air from there.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 01-09-2013, 03:55 AM

Mike-fish is on a distinguished road

you pump chamber is probably low if not check the aiming of you return lines. often if their aimed high its possible for air bubbles to be introduce to the water column
Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Are you still getting bubbles ?

I had this happening until all air was purged from my returns ( 3 nozzles total on one line )
Since I've installed a check valve it has stopped as the return no longer drains all the way back to the sump
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 AM

sorry, I have been busy with work and haven't had a chance and won't until the weekend ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Sounds like you have air being drawn in at a joint or your water level above you return pump is to low and drawing in air from there.
no vortex and I have 6 plus inches of water over the intake 99.99% confident that I am not drawing air in there; I only added one joint to my pre-existing plumbing. I will block my to outlets for my return and check for a leak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-fish View Post
you pump chamber is probably low if not check the aiming of you return lines. often if their aimed high its possible for air bubbles to be introduce to the water column
the entire length is below the water line; the return standpipe 90 did come with the factory drilled anti-siphon hole though, maybe I will look closer at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Are you still getting bubbles ?

I had this happening until all air was purged from my returns ( 3 nozzles total on one line )
Since I've installed a check valve it has stopped as the return no longer drains all the way back to the sump
it has been running a solid 10 days now, it should all be purged out.

I will post an update this weekend, thanks all for the ideas.

Tags
bubbles, line, return, sump