Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 AM

jay2x is on a distinguished road
Default Importing Fish

I've been wondering how to actually bring live fish and live rock from the Philippines to Canada B.C (the rules and regulations) I'm not asking how to pack them...I would like to know the laws and regulations... I've been wondering for awhile. I'm not sure if any Filipinos here have tried it.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:39 AM

naesco is on a distinguished road

Go to your LFS with the species of fish you would like to import including the sex and size and they will import them for you
You cant do it yourself
Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 AM

Fair enough, though not the answer I'm looking for. Just want to know if you can or you can't...and elaborate.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:14 AM

troni is on a distinguished road

from what i hear no permit is needed unless its going to be sold. check with customs.

20g reef 25g sump, DIY led form modular led, 2 false percs

Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM

DBM is on a distinguished road

Live rock requires a Cites II permit, but the Philippines doesn't export Cites II animals. So don't even bother looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troni View Post
from what i hear no permit is needed unless its going to be sold. check with customs.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 PM

FitoPharmer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by naesco View Post
Go to your LFS with the species of fish you would like to import including the sex and size and they will import them for you
You cant do it yourself
LOL, that is not true at all.
It is generally easier for a person to import goods then a business.
You need to talk to Canada border services, CITES, and possibly a broker.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM

SpateD is on a distinguished road

Just an FYI, I have called the food and animal inspection agency of Canada, the border and government offices all directed me to them. They deal with the importing of the none normal things.. like monkeys and all those kinds of things, get their scientific name, and common name, and ask if they are restricted. I know clownfish and leopard wrasses are none restricted from the USA as long as they have a packing list with common/scientific names, age, origin, and quantity.

Clean up crew's are not on the list either, they can be brought into Canada freely from the US. although he did warn me to be careful of the quantity I ordered, because if you bring in 100-200 snails/crabs, the people at the border may want proof of where they are going to be housed so they don't think you're going to sell them.

So all I can say is.. look up your food and animal inspection office nearest me.. which was Calgary, and they looked them up right on the computer for me and told me right away if they could come in or not.

Being that the things you want are from the Phillipines, I'd still ask... they'd be able to give you an answer. IF You want rock... Try buying base rock from the USA - (marcorocks.com) I had them ship rock for free to the border, I picked it up and brought it across with no hassle, then just seeded it with live rock from a LFS.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpateD View Post
Just an FYI, I have called the food and animal inspection agency of Canada, the border and government offices all directed me to them. They deal with the importing of the none normal things.. like monkeys and all those kinds of things, get their scientific name, and common name, and ask if they are restricted. I know clownfish and leopard wrasses are none restricted from the USA as long as they have a packing list with common/scientific names, age, origin, and quantity.

Clean up crew's are not on the list either, they can be brought into Canada freely from the US. although he did warn me to be careful of the quantity I ordered, because if you bring in 100-200 snails/crabs, the people at the border may want proof of where they are going to be housed so they don't think you're going to sell them.

So all I can say is.. look up your food and animal inspection office nearest me.. which was Calgary, and they looked them up right on the computer for me and told me right away if they could come in or not.

Being that the things you want are from the Phillipines, I'd still ask... they'd be able to give you an answer. IF You want rock... Try buying base rock from the USA - (marcorocks.com) I had them ship rock for free to the border, I picked it up and brought it across with no hassle, then just seeded it with live rock from a LFS.

Thank you for going doing the research. Thanks so much.

Tags
fish, import, philippines, saltwater