Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM

ChronicReefer is on a distinguished road
Post Mermaid Cup Algae

Any suggestions on the best way to deal with Mermaid Cups? I have been manually removing as much as I can with forceps and a steady hand, but Its a very temporary fix at best.

I purchased a Sea Hare a few weeks back to try and fend off some hair algae that has started to grow out of my sand bed. That proved useless, as I found him dead in the corner 4 days after I got him... Presumably of starvation as I noticed he hadn't eaten any algae at all! :S I assume I got him out on time as nothing else died in my tank (I've been told they can go toxic when they die).

Do you think maybe I just got a lazy and/or mentally retarded Sea Hare? Are Sea Hares known to eat Mermaid Cups? Is there perhaps another critter I should try and purchase? Any help is appreciated!

-JB-
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about the root of your algae problem?

with cup algae and hair algae there may be some excess phosphates/nitrates in your system that if you dealt with would rectify your issue.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM

RESONANCE is on a distinguished road

Hey can you take a picture of your mermaid's cup algae and post it for us here? For those of us who keep macro algae, the correct type can be a desirable item. Meaning, you might be able to sell the rock the algae is growing on. If you're willing to ship, I would strongly consider getting some from you (weight and shipping charges dependent). Btw I call dibs if you do eventually decide to sell the rock (or a part of it) that it's on.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Say my issue is residual sunlight getting into my condo. Would reducing the natural sunlight in my condo stop the algae? Or is the tank lighting sufficient enough to keep it growing once it started?

I was bold enough to start a mixed reef tank, so I know I need some nitrates for my soft corals (candy canes, acans, torch coral, frogspawn, brain coral etc..). Are even the slightest traces of nitrates/phosphates enough to start algae growth? I know I made some rookie decisions in my setup, so I'd understand If I gotta learn to live with the algae issue.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

never heard of it before, just how bad does it get?

is it like this stuff?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 PM

Twinn is on a distinguished road

I have the exact things pictured in my tank, can't find anything to eat it.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:56 AM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

everything I read about them says that they are temporary and dont survive long in a tank. I personally love the look. But I have a macro tank. lol. How long have you had this issue ?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:11 AM

Twinn is on a distinguished road

For me two months and spreading
Old 08-18-2011, 02:14 PM

They look exactly like in the picture you've posted, and I've had them for 6 or 7 months! They started off confined to a tiny area completely surrounded by zoas. As far as marine tank algae goes, Mermaid Cups look the coolest to me! When they started to get unruly, I'd reach in and trim them back with the forceps. I figure a piece must have escaped my grasp, and landed on the rock near the bottom... Where it is growing like crazy! I've entertained the thought of trying another sea hare... Im also in the process of increasing my magnesium. I've read that algae hates high magnesium levels, and will recede before your corals feel the difference... Worth a try I figure!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM

skabooya is on a distinguished road

Well i guess that goes to show that not all info you read about macros is accurate :P
I would honestly try to sell some of it to see if anyone wants it before trying to kill it off. I think that is lovely and us macro algae lovers would love some.