Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 12-11-2013, 05:15 PM

SanguinesDream is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Try feeding a ball python, a red tail boa, aclimating my clowns back into my new tank and moving my partners cats into my house with 3 cats already... Talk about a handful!! Not he mention the 3 dogs down stairs!
Meh. We have a zoo and can never leave home as a result. Srsly, who wants to adhere to instructions for feeding, cleaning and care for over 100 animals? We have a book of instructions, color code and have everything pre-made and people still can't be paid enough.

Do I win the gold medal for the Martyr Olympics? I think I've got a shot at the bitching and complaining relay.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:49 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYi...e_gdata_player

Have at 'er
Old 12-14-2013, 04:13 AM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

OK, you asked for it

Pretty awful 'scape

Looks pretty fresh judging by the rock
Only time will tell if the fish live ...

On the flip side, it looks great with lots of fish, although I feel sorry for them in that small space

Thanks for the vid
Old 12-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Han Solo

Ram3500 is an unknown quantity at this point

George Bailey rocks
Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 AM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Anyone ever measured the TDS of snow?!
High up in the mountains not far from Kimberley at the backcountry Boulder Hut I carefully scooped some fresh snow & it measured 2 or 4, can't recall exactly. Actually had a good reason to do it, we had run out of distilled water to top up the batteries of the micro hydro system & I wanted to confirm melted snow was ok to use. Good enough in a pinch, but we had no choice anyhow, the plates were almost exposed on a couple of the batteries.

I imagine results will vary depending on location, length of time since the snow fell, proximity to industry, etc.

Water for the hut comes from a spring fed creek & IIRC it measured around 10-11. And that TDS is prolly good stuff like minerals your bod needs.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-18-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:27 AM

"Convenience Charge", what next? I just purchased a ticket to a concert in Kelowna online & the price breakdown doesn't show either PST or GST, but this Convenience Charge. Convenient for who, certainly not me? Honestly, what the H is this? A hidden tax? Who's kid am I helping to send through college with this charge? So an initial $59.00 cheap seat ticket ends up costing $70.75 due to an $11.75 Convenience Charge? Convenient for me would be if ZZ Top came to my living room to perform instead of me driving from Vernon to Kelowna, finding a parking spot, rocking out to the tunes & then driving back from Kelowna to Vernon.....

Not finished my rant... I look at some of my utility bills & in addition to GST, PST, I see franchise fees, carbon tax, clean energy levy, 5% rate rider.... argggh. And all that sheeet is on top of Fed & Prov Income tax, Municipal Home Owner taxes, sewer, water & the list goes on.... Is it time to simplify our tax system or what? Might mean some bureaucratic job cuts, but I just don't care, I'm all taxed out! Time for a revolt, anarchy even. Clearly our politicians are incompetent at every level and their all spending like drunken sailors... on the wrong things. Otherwise there wouldn't be homeless folks looking for handouts on the street, or hospitals with light a bulb campaigns to help buy much needed medical equipment & finish new hospital towers... how many other charities are out there???

'Kay, I think I'm good now, Merry Christmas.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-18-2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

Old 12-18-2013, 01:53 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlight View Post
You have put the face in the wrong place

And the word "original" is missing.

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob

Last edited by mrhasan; 12-18-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 AM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
High up in the mountains not far from Kimberley at the backcountry Boulder Hut I carefully scooped some fresh snow & it measured 2 or 4, can't recall exactly. Actually had a good reason to do it, we had run out of distilled water to top up the batteries of the micro hydro system & I wanted to confirm melted snow was ok to use. Good enough in a pinch, but we had no choice anyhow, the plates were almost exposed on a couple of the batteries.

I imagine results will vary depending on location, length of time since the snow fell, proximity to industry, etc.

Water for the hut comes from a spring fed creek & IIRC it measured around 10-11. And that TDS is prolly good stuff like minerals your bod needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
"Convenience Charge", what next? I just purchased a ticket to a concert in Kelowna online & the price breakdown doesn't show either PST or GST, but this Convenience Charge. Convenient for who, certainly not me? Honestly, what the H is this? A hidden tax? Who's kid am I helping to send through college with this charge? So an initial $59.00 cheap seat ticket ends up costing $70.75 due to an $11.75 Convenience Charge? Convenient for me would be if ZZ Top came to my living room to perform instead of me driving from Vernon to Kelowna, finding a parking spot, rocking out to the tunes & then driving back from Kelowna to Vernon.....

Not finished my rant... I look at some of my utility bills & in addition to GST, PST, I see franchise fees, carbon tax, clean energy levy, 5% rate rider.... argggh. And all that sheeet is on top of Fed & Prov Income tax, Municipal Home Owner taxes, sewer, water & the list goes on.... Is it time to simplify our tax system or what? Might mean some bureaucratic job cuts, but I just don't care, I'm all taxed out! Time for a revolt, anarchy even. Clearly our politicians are incompetent at every level and their all spending like drunken sailors... on the wrong things. Otherwise there wouldn't be homeless folks looking for handouts on the street, or hospitals with light a bulb campaigns to help buy much needed medical equipment & finish new hospital towers... how many other charities are out there???

'Kay, I think I'm good now, Merry Christmas.
Maybe you are paying to get snow with tds 2-4 when needed

Jokes apart, that snow seems as clean as my RO water output (4 tds). Don't know but can the TDS meter be affected (maybe higher or lower) if the snow is acidic/alkaline/neutral? That might be interesting. Suppose TDS reads less in acidic water and you get a TDS of 5ppm and you put the snow ball in the mouth and DAMN! Lemonade slush!

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Maybe you are paying to get snow with tds 2-4 when needed

Jokes apart, that snow seems as clean as my RO water output (4 tds). Don't know but can the TDS meter be affected (maybe higher or lower) if the snow is acidic/alkaline/neutral? That might be interesting. Suppose TDS reads less in acidic water and you get a TDS of 5ppm and you put the snow ball in the mouth and DAMN! Lemonade slush!
I pay good money to go the the Boulder Hut every winter to get as far away from civilization & the gov't as possible. That bill includes GST and some sort of holiday tax.... To the best of my knowledge the gov't does not make snow. In Toronto the mayor calls in the military if they get too much of it at one go. They don't deal with it too well in Vancouver either.

To the best of my knowledge a TDS meter is simply a conductivity meter, not sure acid or alkaline has any impact on the reading. Although, if TDS is mainly alkaline type elements.... not sure what elements make water acidic, but certainly lime content which is abundant in mountainous regions, would tend to make the water alkaline? Acid rain I suppose, that would probably be high in sulphur? Time for a chemist to chime in.

Last edited by mike31154; 12-18-2013 at 02:06 AM.