Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2007, 05:19 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Heartbreak hotel

My latest casualty.... and maybe a new record. Not even two weeks in my system and it's kicking off ... Wednesday will be 2 weeks and the rate this guy is dissolving I'll be surprised if there's anything left by then.

With flash, doesn't look too bad at first. But this should be a hairy millepora, the lack of polyp extension is pretty evident.

Without flash, same angle as above, the damage is more evident:

Another view, from underneath looking up, even more evident how badly it's sloughing off tissue:

The worst part is that there's an acro crab in there which I suspect will be a goner when the coral goes.

I'm not sure what's up with this phenomenon. I've invested heavily, both heavily and emotionally, into testing equipment to try to nail down a potential cause. Ultimately, I moved into my house in 2004 and I've never been able to keep an SPS alive ever since. It's the most demoralizing thing. People who complain about brown SPS have no idea how jealous I am of them ... I'd take brown over dead.

Parameters:
Ca = 400
Alk = 3.4 meq/l (~9.5 dKH)
NO3 = 5ppm
PO4 = <0.04

Not really the smoking gun one would hope for.

Really not sure what the next step is. I wish I knew what I was doing wrong...
Old 12-10-2007, 05:34 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

Just to show that there was once a day where I thought I knew what I was doing when it came to SPS, here's a FTS of my 75g taken in January 2004 shortly before I moved.

Sigh, the good old days.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:42 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

What kills SPS but leaves all other corals alone?

I guess if there were any significant levels of heavy metal the other corals would be dead right now as well. Or would they? What if you had a toxin in there that was at a low enough level that it doesn't really affect your softies, but still high enough to affect the more sensitive SPS? I don't really have anything to back this up with, it's just a theory, but if anyone else wants to chime in we might get this figured out.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-10-2007, 05:47 AM

untamed is on a distinguished road

I wish I could help... I'm sure you've gone over this in your own mind hundreds of times.

You're right, I don't see anything deadly in those water parameters. Not listed are: SpG, Temperature...but I'm sure you have those in control.

That leaves me with Lighting, Flow, some sort of element deficiency, or some sort of toxic contaminant/bacterial/viral agent.

None of this has been helpful to you at all...sorry.
400 gal reef. Established April, 2007. 3 Sequence Dart, RM12-4 skimmer, 2 x OM4Ways, Yellow Tang, Maroon Clown (pair), Blonde Naso Tang, Vlamingi Tang, Foxface Rabbit, Unicorn Tang, 2 Pakistani Butterflies and a few coral gobies

My Tank: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28436
Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 AM

I'm sort of wondering if it could be bacterial. Sort of like the brown jelly that usually attacks Euphyllia? But I have no idea, just a grasp on my part.

FWIW, I run my SG at 1.025 and temperature I try to keep at 26C (about 78-79F I think? If I have my conversions straight).

It is pretty uniformly SPS across the board. Softies, LPS (well, actually, I don't have many LPS. But I do have a bubble coral, and two Blastomussa's), anemones, and clams don't seem to be an issue.

This is now spanning two different systems. But one thing the two systems have in common are some rather large anemones. Two gigantea carpets in one tank, and one ridiculous ritteri in the other. It feels a bit of a desperate grasp though, to me, as there are tanks out there with these species with SPS that seem to do well.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 AM

Skimmin is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert on sps but... My tank is mainly dominated by softies but I do have a few lps and sps that seem to be doing quite well. Do you run carbon or phosphate remover of any kind? I believe carbon and even phosphate removers can help remove organic toxins. Ialways try to have atleast some carbonin my tank.(thats actually the only mechanical filteration I use) I know that softies can excrete a fair bit of toxins which can be potentially harmful to sps. Sorry I can't offer anything else.
300 Gal 6x3x28 high Starphire peninsula w/external herbie/bean animal hybrid +150 Gal custom sump with 30gal fuge section, (both built by Concept Aquariums Calgary), 3x Ecotech Radion xr30w g2's(soon to be G3 Pros), Jebao DCT 12000 return pump, 2x Jebao RW 20 powerheads, Tunze Ato, Vertex ro/di, Reef Octopus Ext 200 skimmer run internally.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

How would you be able to determine if you had such an invader in your tank? I wonder if you could send a water and sand/rock sample to a lab for analysis? You know, someone who knows what to look for.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-10-2007, 06:22 AM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default Luck of the draw

I have ventured into a few sps .Some do good/some turn brown some die.Asked Jaws about this and said luck of the draw so I dont think it is anything you do.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:38 AM

Der_Iron_Chef is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Der_Iron_Chef

A few potential causes (I fought off sleep and read through several gargantuan threads on RC!):

1) High (organic) phosphates?
2) New house, new area, new water source/water treatment plant? Some use Chloramine?
3) Salt mix. Did you switch salt mixes? I just read that some salt brands are using many times the natural amount of Borate in order to keep the mix in solution. As I understood/read it, high levels of Borate skew test readings for Alkalinity (ie. the true dKH will be much lower).

10G Nano * 10G Sump * Deltec MCE 600 Skimmer * JBL Viper 150w MH * Zeovit * Vortech MP40W

Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ~S. Ertz

Old 12-10-2007, 12:34 PM

spikehs is on a distinguished road

Try adding some poly-filter... supposed to absorb a wide variety of stuff. Might help...