Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 11-07-2004, 07:26 PM

Cap'n is on a distinguished road

I think it's a great idea to affilliate ourselves with an already established group. I'm also going to the auction and will be joining the CAS at that time (been meaning to for a while)
Old 11-08-2004, 04:02 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
I think we should get back on that zoo aquarium project as well.
I would love to be a part of something like that. A while ago there was some mention of the city funding such a project. I wonder how that is coming along, or was it just the usual empty promise by a politian?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 11-08-2004, 06:42 AM

monza is on a distinguished road

Being negative I guess... but whats the point? This site alone has made us a fairly tight group that always seems to be growing. I'm willing to bet that we have more communication between ourselfs then the other group. What does the other fish society do for you... pay some money to be all official like for what. Maybe I’m missing something but if we need or ask anything from this group it seems to happen. I guess I just can’t see myself going to a formal meeting with a bunch of gold fish keepers and paying for it.

As far as speakers and shows, please tell me last speaker the fresh water group had... I'm sure it was riviting? Way to small of a community to get a "intersting," fish guy the costs would prohibitive. How can two groups of fish geeks getting together make the hobby better?

The zoo thing is a cool idea for sure, that could be interesting and something to work on.

Dave
Old 11-09-2004, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monza
I guess I just can’t see myself going to a formal meeting with a bunch of gold fish keepers and paying for it.
I'm sure there are a lot of cichlid enthusiasts who would feel the same about meeting with a bunch of "nemo recuers". It is not wise to assume the members of another group are less committed or intelligent than yourself.

In my opinion, it is an aquarium society, and we all have aquariums. Just imagine if the upcoming CAS auction also included a frag swap?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:54 PM

monza is on a distinguished road

No knock on anyones intelligence or commitment to their hobby, sorry if it read that way. Just saying I don't see the point and you gave me one, a frag swap. However, we already do that.

Go Nemo Go.

Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 12:34 AM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road

I gotta' admit, I'm with Dave on this one. Sorta'...? .
Personally, I would like to see the marine community as a completely separate entity. Nothing against the freshwater society already in existance. I do the freshwater side as well. I've been to auctions in the past. It took two hours alone just to get through bags of Convict Cichlids. You'd think they are easily bred or somethin'... .
I don't know if formalizing a society in Calgary would generate enough revenue to bring in worthy speakers. It would be great if it did but are we really big enough? I kinda' think we're stuck in the middle right now. The group is growing constantly. This growth has led to a reluctancy to host meetings any more. My place surely isn't large enough and with tanks in almost every room, on different levels, the riff-raff would be all over the place and the wife would surely begin wonder what she'd agree to...
I'd love to be a part of the "Calgary Marine Aquarium Society"...even if it involved a membership fee. Didn't someone once say, "I have a dream..."? . We could at least then rent a board room at maybe the Cecil or somethin' ? I'm sure Quinn knows a few places that'll rent by the hour...

Seriously though, I'm for "solidarity" amongst ourselves.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:45 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I guess my hypothetical question is, why hasn't the CAS opened itself to the SW community before? It's not like SW is a recent phenomenon.

Personally I see an affiliation is a good thing, but I think our mandates are separate enough to warrant a distinct grouping.

If I could use the horticultural/plant geek world as an example .. in Calgary there is the Calgary Horticultural Society and the Foothills Orchid Society. The orchid growers belong to F.O.S. and maybe as well as the C.H.S., but not necessarily both; yet the two groups do recognize each other and I think technically the F.O.S. is considered underneath the C.H.S. "umbrella" but then the F.O.S. is also an affiliate member society of the American Orchid Society whereas the C.H.S. is not. If I'm not making any sense let me try to synopsize as that the "dotted line affiliations" are different.

I see a SW and SW/reef group as a good thing and has long been a dream of mine (and others on this board) to one day start the process going. In this I envision something similar to the paternal relationship of the hort societies in that this new group would see the umbrella of the C.A.S. yet also have that dotted line affilation to MASNA.

However with that said, Monza has a point. Right now we have the benefits of an informal society but without the requisite overhead of membership dues, a collection of bylaws, an elected directorship, and so on. We have meetings (somewhat irregularly but we could change that) we have frag swaps, collective arrangements of help when needed, information sharing, and technically I see no reason why we couldn't have guest speakers if that's what we really wanted (except that bringing in someone from outside the area costs money).

Anyhow back to my original musing, I think if CAS truly had an interest in SW they would have opened their doors to the idea long ago; but they haven't. But perhaps it goes back to the fact that the hobbies are distinct enough to warrant two distinct societies (I can't beleive it but I sound like a Quebec separatist here ... )

Just my thoughts ... I do one day see a formal association and affiliation but am not sure if the time is right to push it ahead just yet.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:54 AM

Tarolisol is on a distinguished road

Just a question but what would being a society accomplish. Would there be any greater benefit by paying dues. I really dont see how payin dues would help our group. I for one am a student and can barly afford the hobby let alone paying a monthly fee to be part of a group i would love to be apart of.

Back in the good ole days
Old 11-10-2004, 01:25 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

My suggestion to this is to start with is a website where we can all register at and post/link to all things of the Calgary Marine Aquarium Society

We can link to this site for the discussion board but have member tanks displayed/ frag swap info etc. ... I guess somewhat " distinct " < sorry Tony ... it was there and I had a shot at it LOL )

Some marine/reef folks dont visit message boards at all but would probably support a local website that could put them in touch with other marine/Reef keepers

Some of us have the skills/aptitude/webspace to make that a reality.

Opinions ?

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 11-10-2004, 03:28 AM

To be honest, I don't see the point of speakers at all. I think being able to meet everyone and have some sort of sale / trade would be sufficient. Shouldn't really be a need for fees.

Definately agree that the two groups are distinct with different needs. However, I don't think either needs an auction, simple sale would be more pleasant.

About the only two advantages I see in being a formal community are the opportunity to meet and group recognition by vendors (be a lot easier than saying "I'm with the BlkWolfe truck").