Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 11-06-2004, 04:30 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road
Default Calgary Aquarium Society

A while back when everyone was talking about formalizing a SW club,I mentioned it to Jim Hendrick one of the directors of C.A.S He said it was a great idea and wished us luck.I was speaking with him again yesterday and he asked how the club was comming along.When I told him not much was happening in that area,he said that he talked to the other directors and they would be happy to incude a SW extention to the club.Some of the members have SW and FW tanks.And they would like some new blood in their ranks.
If anyone is interested and wants to find out more,they can PM me for Jims phone number or go see him at the C.A.S auction on Nov 14 at the Parkdale Comm Assoc. Viewing is at 10am and Auction is at 11am.There won't be any SW equip, but there will be tanks,pwr heads etc.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:10 PM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

But what would that do to our image as "good-looking rebels that play by our own rules?"

Ha-ha... Not a bad idea, perhaps - one we hadn't considered?
Old 11-06-2004, 10:59 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ_77
But what would that do to our image as "good-looking rebels that play by our own rules?"

Ha-ha... Not a bad idea, perhaps - one we hadn't considered?
You mean we're not good looking rebels?

OH, you were you refering to the idea of joining the other group That might not be a bad plan. If we can take advantage of an all ready established group and expand it to encompass our side of the hobby, it would easier than trying to get our own group set up. There is some overlap between fresh and salt water systems, so there should be some common ground to work from.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:34 PM

medican is on a distinguished road

good idea........

I think Ill have to drop by on the 14

Richard
Old 11-06-2004, 11:37 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

How closely associated with the freshwater group would we be. Can we set our own meeting times, frequency, membership costs, etc.? Is the main goal here just to create an income so that we can look at bringing in speakers? I think we should get back on that zoo aquarium project as well.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 11-07-2004, 02:14 AM

EmilyB is on a distinguished road

I bet they have better t-shirts....
Old 11-07-2004, 02:42 AM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

But I doubt they have doggy T-shirts.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 11-07-2004, 03:41 AM

Bob I is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee
How closely associated with the freshwater group would we be. Can we set our own meeting times, frequency, membership costs, etc.? Is the main goal here just to create an income so that we can look at bringing in speakers? I think we should get back on that zoo aquarium project as well.
As a very old member of the CAS I would see our involvement as a branch of the mother association. Everyone would pay the same dues. We would all pull together in the prolifereration of the aquarium hobby. It could become very complicated, or remain simple. We could act as a separate branch or part of the whole. IOW a part of a CAS meeting could be set aside for the salt water bunch. There could be funds available for speakers etc. We could be part of the shows. The possibilities are endless, and I am making less sense as this post goes on.

---------Homer Simpson--------
Old 11-07-2004, 05:23 AM

AJ_77 is on a distinguished road

No, that made sense for the most part Bob...

As part of the wider organization, we could work to educate and raise awareness regarding the saltwater/reefing hobby. That may in turn attract more people to the hobby that would have a greater chance of success in it, having started with a sense of the responbility and commitment involved.

This month's RC TOTM is another story of a FW geek who eventually got hooked on reefing...
Old 11-07-2004, 02:23 PM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

Well Im going to check out the auction next weekend.Never know what you may find And I'll let Jim know there is some interest.I anyone wants to call him for more information I;ll give you his phone number.
I was thinking that there were enough of us interested in a club,but no time to organize.And this way the organization is already there for us to take advantage of.If after a while we believe we can serve our interest better by forming our own club,it will be easier to set thing up for ourselves.