Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-15-2003, 12:24 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

I was born and raised right across the river in Sarnia. All my family are still there. That river is supposedly travelling at 70 km/h. The amazing part is the fact that the Lake for at least 20 miles is only 38ft deep. Some of those large ships must only be feet off the bottom .
Old 08-15-2003, 08:21 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

The power outage affects everyone, that's for sure. I was in Calgary this morning to pick up a friend on a flight from Ottawa, and of course, it never got off the ground.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 08-15-2003, 08:55 PM

Valleye is on a distinguished road

I live in Windsor and work in Detroit. You guys have a interesting notions of the US and Detroit in Particular.

The State Troopers are just like the OPP or the RCMP for those Provinces that do not have a provincial police force. It is use and very capable.

Detroit has a few things to be proud of (not the Redwings this year) on in particular is the worlds first completely cageless (no bars) zoo.

I was without power from 4pm-3am and lost my corkscrew anemone.

-Em
Old 08-15-2003, 09:09 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sorry to hear of your loss. I was kind of wondering about how many tank casualties there will be as a result of this. I'm sure you're not alone.. Must be very frustrating...

I actually don't mind Detroit. I think it's really neat to be on U.S. soil, and look due south and see Canada. Apart from maybe Alaska I don't know of too many places where you can do that.

Have you ever visited Tropicorium? I'm jealous you get to live close to a supplier like Dick Perrin... cool place. Was thinking I might head down for a look-see if my plans to go for a drive down to Cedar Point this weekend don't pan out.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Rest In Peace

Doug has disabled reputation

I have read of losses on every board. Several of the Ontario guys on Aquarium Pros. Lots on RC.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:56 PM

Chad is on a distinguished road

I am surprised more people do not use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) .. It would be a life saver for the reefers.. And only cost a couple hundred at the most. For what we pay in livestock it is worth it.

Chad
Old 08-15-2003, 10:56 PM

Troy F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy
That river is supposedly travelling at 70 km/h.
Tell me that's a typo!

lusus naturae
Old 08-15-2003, 11:29 PM

Old Guy is on a distinguished road

After talking to my Dad, he says the river is more at 25mph at the mouth. The area is also called the St. Clair rapids and there is apperenlty 2 ships on the bottom about a 100 yards north of the bridge connecting Port Huron and Sarnia and 2 more a few hundred yards south.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:35 PM

Samw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I am surprised more people do not use a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) .. It would be a life saver for the reefers.. And only cost a couple hundred at the most. For what we pay in livestock it is worth it.

Chad

Its a good idea. I have 2 UPS'es and I tested them but was only able to run a single powerhead for about 1-2 hours. In my opinion, that's not very cost effective. I think I was using APC Smart-UPS 500 or something. I would have to check. For more money, I could get the higher end models to get maybe 8 hours but that's pretty expensive.

The cheapest way to aerate a tank I think is a battery operated air pump like this:

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...01007900010101

I bought one last week but haven't tested it yet. They do look cheaply made though but I guess it should be able to run several days or maybe weeks on battery power. If the power outage lasts more than a day or 2, this isn't going to do much good if the temperature is extremely cold or hot of course.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:46 PM

Valleye is on a distinguished road

I went into work today an grabbed a 3000VA UPS but of course my power has not gone out sine 3 am this morning when it came back.

I have not yet been to Tropicorium but plan on it in the next couple weeks. I was going to get a pair of their tank raised Percs.