Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Reefer View Post
This is funny.
Um, not really. Maybe I just don't get the funny part.....
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Phanman is on a distinguished road

I think he was implying to the fact you used the medication on your fish tank instead of yourself.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf View Post
The "I used all the meds on the tank" part.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf

Tony, what is your light power output and cycle on that tank anyway? I think there might be something to Canuckgod420's suggestion that there is too much light. The only reason I might think this is valid is because I say a local reefer's tank that blew my mind, and he was running his lights for only 8 hours a day. I always thought that a reef needed minimum 10-12 hours to thrive, but I thought I'd try reducing my photo period and see what happens. Bam, within a week my SPS gained more color. So I increased my photo period to 10 hours from 8 recently just to see what would happen, and my SPS lost color. Go figure!

Of course, I have 400 watts over my tank which might play a huge roll in my experience. Anyway, free advice is worth what you pay for it. Lots of good theories in this thread anyway.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Well now that is very interesting. I run my halides for 10 hours over my 75g and the tank this coral was put in is run 12 hours (because there is no dawn/dusk cycle). The light is a single 250W halide. That is a really interesting observation...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Reefer View Post
Ok I thought it was stupid, not funny, I could have been in trouble, medically speaking. Would I do it again? Oh yea! I'm seein' the funny part now....
Old 12-10-2007, 11:00 PM
Masterbaiter

Joe Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Joe Reefer

I know this is not on topic but I can attest to the halide theory. I am down to 8 hours a day. Color is ok.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 AM

Quagmire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef_raf View Post
As I said offline Tony, every time I put my hand in the tank, I'd get heavy infections in any open wound. I spoke with my doctor who agreed it could be a strain of vibrio (not flesh eating disease ) and that the broad spectrum antibiotic could help. Being the idiot I often am, I used all th emeds on my tank instead of me, and the tank did clear up after treatment. I also stopped getting infections from scratches on the rockwork. Vibrio?? Who knows, but the antibiotic did resolve whatever was sloughing my acros. No science here, just experience...

So Brad did you notice any sort of cycle after treating the tank? I curious what effect the antibiotic would have on the bacteria in the rock.

UV sounds like a good idea,it would clear up any free floating bacteria or viruses,maybe stop it from spreading.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Just a guy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
So Brad did you notice any sort of cycle after treating the tank?
No, can't say that I "noticed" one, but I never tested anything. Everything was doing much better than before treatment, so that was good enough.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Buh ,, ... so, just in case anyone was wondering ... Zeovit wasn't the saviour I hoped it would be. 5 frags down the tubes this week, same thing, starts with a loss of colour, then recession from the tips. Seen this before so I know what's next.

I've changed my signature to include a nice little Haiku-ish poem for now.

Ugh,.. this has been going on for far too long. I hate that I can't grow SPS anymore.