Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Reference Library > Suggest a Link

Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 PM

Reef Pilot is on a distinguished road

Wow, you guys must have a lot of time on your hands!!...
Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 PM

squibege is on a distinguished road

This is great! I do not know enough details to comment to the level you guys have, but I do see very valid points on both sides. Thank you for providing me with a lot of reading material while I wait for my damn tank to cycle!
Old 02-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

Quote:
Originally Posted by squibege View Post
This is great! I do not know enough details to comment to the level you guys have, but I do see very valid points on both sides.
Of which counter points did you find intriguing and/or tangibly credible? Perhaps I can elucidate the point to show otherwise :P

Evolution is a theory, and a a damn fine one at that. For those who are not aware, when you say "theory" in science, it is not akin to a "throw away anecdote" as the word is generally used in common language. A scientific theory (via dictionary.com) [i]a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomen[/]. It is founded upon known laws and principles and is the highest level that an idea can be elevated in scientific context.

You'll find a lot of YEC tend to draw up points like "well this one example shows otherwise, checkmate evolutionist". And, given the benefit of the doubt that it does, the general followup well tend to be "for now". Science is additive and as the knowledge pool is expanded, contrarians will retreat further and further into obscurity. Eventually, those pockets will become explainable by newer science. These little pockets are often referred to as the "God of the Gaps", e.i. holes in our current knowledge = counterpoints = God or Intelligent Design = The CIA planned 9/11 = Global warming is a hoax to make you give your kids vaccines so that the future elite will rule empire over a population fraught with autism, wake up sheeple!!!!

Here's a more thorough and eloquent summary of the argument (worth a read ):

http://biologos.org/common-questions...od-of-the-gaps
Old 02-20-2016, 08:16 PM

somafish is on a distinguished road

It was kinda like Bill Nye vs Ken Ham, real valid points proven by science vs obscure,twisted, one off experiments. But what do we know maybe the earth is only 10000 years old, damn carbon dating and evolution
Old 02-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

Man is a game changer.

We're a destructive force that completely changes our environment, both inadvertently and on purpose.

Nature has never seen anything like us, we bend it to our will rather than the other way around.

We don't even fully understand the effect our imprint has and will have.

Climate change is a good example or the aforementioned sun tan lotion creating changes in coral reefs.

It's hard to imagine that we haven't had a drastic effect on evolution since Darwins time.

Last edited by gobytron; 02-24-2016 at 06:14 PM.