Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
On Hiatus

gregzz4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Can't you just add onto the existing garage enough room for the car to sit in and leave the tools where they are?
Unfortunately, the garage sits right on the alley and the yard beside it is already quite small. Being a rental, I wouldn't want to take the tennants' yard space away.
In a perfect world, I'd have a 4-car in my back yard. Problem solved. Gotta get past the City bylaws and find some cash.

Nice ride Tony. At least it's cheap to run.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Banned

spawn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzz4 View Post
Anyone else have a stockpile of tools they can't use?
Big sob story, wah wah wah, but here we go.
We bought a rental house 12-14 years ago and I converted the garage into a wood-working shop ( I already had a pretty significant stockpile of mechanics tools to boot ).
I bought thousands upon thousands of dollars of gear. Table saw with a sweet 52" fence, router table, compound mitre saw, drill press, built a disc sander, installed custom central vac system with ports at every location, built a bunch of jigs and such. A 16' continous table from drill press through mitre saw and past router. Single phase heaters, 12 outlets and 20 x single 4' fluorescent lights in a 16' x 21' footprint. I even found a donator fridge for food and drinks, brought in a cheapo quad speaker stereo, installed an alarm, window bars, insulation including the roll-up door, ceiling, walls, 100A sub-panel. It was a cosy place to roll into after work and play for awhile until the wife was finished her afternoon shift.
We ( the wife and I ) built some oak, beech, and birch furniture for our house, some for gifts, some just for fun, whatever ....
Then, about a year into it, she buys her dad's '69 Camaro RS/SS and it goes in MY garage. I can't complain much as he bought it new and it only had 69K miles on it. It's been there ever since. ( it still only has 70K miles on it today ).
So here I am trying to build this 75g system. I'm drilling in the basement over a garbage can so I don't have to vacuum.
I'm sawing in the laundry tub. I'm using a jigsaw on my hands and knees 'cause it's too cold to break out the plastic saw horses and go outdoors.
I'm using the jigsaw 'cause I don't have a stable enough surface to use my $250 circular saw. I'm pulling my graying hair out as I cut inferior lines in whatever I do, and am trying to love it as I can't afford to build a garage in our backyard.
And the 3 or 4 times every summer ( due to weather and schedules )that we take the Camaro out are not doing much for me at the moment.
Sigh, I can't be the only one suffering from lack of shop space.
And don't rub it in Grizz, I've seen your shop in pics.
I suffer from the car in the garage as well. But being a finshing & cabinet contractor, I have no desire to work in my own garage as well as the every day. I've posted my car for sale for the last 2 years....but I think the ask is high because I still like taking it out those 5-6 times a year. It's a 2001 convertible GT Mustang, with a few goodies in,under, & on. Like wise, since getting it in 04 when it had 69k, I've added very few clicks. It now has 83k, & it's not allowed to go in the rain. Having a car in the garage makes storing tools & kayaks & bikes makes it hard. But man is it shiny.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM

MMAX is on a distinguished road

I sctually don't suffer from my car being in my garage as I posted earlier. Plenty of space in there (26 X 30) and I'm much more of a mechanic than a wood worker anyway. Don't kid yourself on the color of you car Gregzz4. That green is sweet.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM

BMW Rider is on a distinguished road

I suffer from toosmallgarageitus as well; two cars, a truck, four motorcycles and both woodworking and metalworking/mechanics tools and equipment requires all of the space I have and then some. My truck has never seen the inside of the garage and I'm tired of sweeping snow and scraping ice and frost.

I have a pending remedy that will partially ease the pain, I'll be adding a third 12'x20' parking bay onto my 24'x32' existing garage. I wanted to go bigger, but that was the maximum I could convince the development appeals board to allow me. Plan is to make the interior ceiling height as high as allowable to accomodate a parking lift. That way when my 79 mustang is finally off the rotisserrie, it can be parked on the lift and raised up to allow my wifes car to park below. Then the space that the mustang currently occupies will become available for workshop space.

Ed
60 gallon winter tank for pond fish.
300 gallon pond with waterfall.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
That way when my 79 mustang is finally off the rotisserrie,
Please tell me that's a typo, who in the world does a rotisserie restoration on a 79 mustang?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 PM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish55 View Post
Please tell me that's a typo, who in the world does a rotisserie restoration on a 79 mustang?
Every good classic car restorer puts all there cars on a rotisserie to make it easier to restore. My brother in law has 2 and uses them even to paint the bodies.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM

Mrfish55 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grizz View Post
Every good classic car restorer puts all there cars on a rotisserie to make it easier to restore. My brother in law has 2 and uses them even to paint the bodies.
I agree, but a 79 mustang?
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Still considered a classic car and could have some kind of sentimental value to owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
Old 03-16-2012, 09:34 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What this doesn't do it for you?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM

That was my very first car that wasnt a POS, loved it!!

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner