Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Craigdillman is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrade time !

Well looks like my wife approved the start of a new tank build as long as I don't order it all at once. So im going to slowly aquaire all the stuff over the next little bit and start putting together a 6 footer!!!

So far defiantly want
125 gallon long?
72" for sure and proably no more than 140 gallons
Long Shallow
Rimless probably
Good sized sump and fuge for pods for mandarin (maybe seperate tank for fuge that drains into sump?)
Big stand with lots of room too keep it clean and tidy

Lights Leds
I have a rapid led build for my 29 gallon might build just expand those most likely with some more full spectrum reds UV and greens not sure yet or maybe add on some Radons or Ai SoL

Anything else that you guys wish you had ? Wish you had bought form the start or planned ? thats kinda what im starting to plan

Anyway Stay tuned
Old 08-14-2013, 07:17 PM

First tank progress

Recent
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM
Islander

reeferfulton is on a distinguished road

awesome . 6 footer , wish i had started that big.
look forward to the build.

1.I wish i made my tank stand higher. i like setups were you dont really need to bend over at all for viewing. It also gives extra height under the tank for skimmer and things .

2.spend some time planning the sump . I wish i had easier access to my filter socks and equipment.

3.Plan out where all of your wires, plugins,power bars, controllers and all that junk will go . because it can take up lots of space and look really messy.

have fun
Old 08-14-2013, 11:27 PM

Thanks yea good call, what size do you think would give me good fuge and room for everything? Is a 40 breeder ok or go bigger?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 AM

Well...
Scoped out and picked up a gently used tank from a reefer up north who was upgrading tank was built from a concept in Calgary, drilled bean animal overflow, 2 returns, just finish cleaning the tank up and getting excited

72"x20"x20" 125 gallon display
48"x15.5"x16.5" Sump

Next step is plumbing (which I know nothing about and have never done so it will be an adventure)
Old 09-03-2013, 02:41 AM

Just planning out my plumbing, is it better to plumb the refugium to be filled off the return or run one of the overflows too it?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

Plumb it off your return. That way you can control the amount of flow through it with a valve. Plus if you plumb it off the tank drain the refuge will fill up with debris instead of being caught by your filter socks.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:25 AM

Ah good call, so do I basically mock up the plumbing and then choose a return pump or?

Just trying to figure out how to start first time plumbing anything lol
Old 09-03-2013, 03:56 AM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

It's always a good idea to mock up your plumbing before you glue anything together. Also it helps you to make sure you have shut off valves and unions in all the right places so you can service your equipment.

The pump choice is determined by the amount of flow you want through the system. Most aquarists' like to run about 5 times the display tanks volume through the sump per hour. Also when choosing your pump don't forget to account for the head loss due to the height back to the display. Most pump manufacturers provide a chart to help estimate the loss for a given height.
Also add maybe20% more to account for the flow you will divert to the refugeium.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:18 AM

Thanks alot for the help