Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-05-2015, 12:37 AM

Steve... is on a distinguished road
Default Carbon Dosing

I started carbon dosing for just over a week now and wanted to see what your feedbacks are with carbon dosing and if there could be an increase in coloration of corals.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:26 AM

jordsyke is on a distinguished road

I have been carbon dosing for roughly 8-9 months. I find coloration is the same, only find problems when too much is dosed and nitrates drop below 2
Old 01-05-2015, 01:53 AM

What do you mean by "Problems"? Bacteria bloom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsyke View Post
I have been carbon dosing for roughly 8-9 months. I find coloration is the same, only find problems when too much is dosed and nitrates drop below 2
Old 01-05-2015, 10:00 AM

No sps corals would start to die off and brown out, lps would start to shrink and not come out as much. I was using biopellets and found it too hard to control the dose, switchin to vinegar dosing has made this much easier. Using a dosing pump i test nitrates every 2 weeks to a month and adjust my pump time to keep them between 2-5
Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 AM

Yes, Im doing the vinegar right now. Its going to be a lot cheaper too! Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordsyke View Post
No sps corals would start to die off and brown out, lps would start to shrink and not come out as much. I was using biopellets and found it too hard to control the dose, switchin to vinegar dosing has made this much easier. Using a dosing pump i test nitrates every 2 weeks to a month and adjust my pump time to keep them between 2-5
Old 01-06-2015, 01:20 AM

I have a 120Gallon that is medium to heavy stocked. I feed heavily and I am only dosing 10ml of vinegar per day. But when I was bringing my nitrates down I was dosing up to 40ml per day, just make sure to cut ur dose down as you see nitrates dropping. I also run GFO to help reduce phosphates
Old 01-06-2015, 04:11 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

If bioPellets are still considered carbon dosing, then I've been doing it pretty much since I started my tank 5 years ago. I don't really have anything else to compare it to other than the fact that my nitrates go up when I run out of bioPellets and forget to top it up for a while.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:46 AM

dcw1sfu is on a distinguished road

Running All in One Bio-pellets and results have been great. Nitrates around around .5-2 and phosphates staying .01 (hanna checker) feeding super heavy.

Growth coloration and polyps on my sps have been fantastic since staring these 4-5 months ago and i only have to clean the glass maybe once a week.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:27 PM

Besides checking testing the water, I guess our glass would be a good indicator right? Im cleaning my glass every two days right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw1sfu View Post
Running All in One Bio-pellets and results have been great. Nitrates around around .5-2 and phosphates staying .01 (hanna checker) feeding super heavy.

Growth coloration and polyps on my sps have been fantastic since staring these 4-5 months ago and i only have to clean the glass maybe once a week.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM

Thanks Kein! Do you do anything else with your tank? Your corals always look great with crazy colours. How often are you changing your water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
If bioPellets are still considered carbon dosing, then I've been doing it pretty much since I started my tank 5 years ago. I don't really have anything else to compare it to other than the fact that my nitrates go up when I run out of bioPellets and forget to top it up for a while.