Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-24-2010, 05:44 PM

Chin_Lee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Chin_Lee

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...light=flatworm
this stuff works. if its a small tank, do 100% water change right after
Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

I had flat worms once and used a spotted mandarin to eliminate them.

I kid you not... ELIMINATE. The mandarin took about 2 weeks but I never saw a single flat worm again.... 3 years later.

I know your tank is small.... but you could start with the small tank and then transplant your mandarin into the display.... unless of course he ended up food for the others.

Food for thought.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:51 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

NONE of my mandarins ever eated any flatworms, nor my wrasses. I suspect your mandarin eated them because it was simply starving.

I have a black velvet nudibranch and they are very efficient in removing most of the flatworms but they don't get them all for sure. I have bearely any left and I still have some. My aquarium was infested with them but just one nudi and it cleared most of it in a month.

Problem is they get cought in pumps very very easily as they go free floating in the aquarium and always end up on a pump. So all the pumps and what ever that could suck them in has to be covered with nets. I had to cover both of my koralias with nets.

You still have to check because if they get cought on a pump they are not strong enough to detach from it and they can't really move their body as they only have traction at the very tip of their head which is done by some tiny hairs moving. So if they do get cought on a pump you have to shut it down and gently remove the nudibranch.

They are poison so carbon in the filter 24/7! In case one die it won't pollute the tank (especialy a small tank) and kill everything with toxine.

They only live about 3 months but mine is going out of food after only a month and half. It has already spawned rings of eggs 3 times and they usualy do that when they sense their ending is near.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblarss View Post
Very interesting I may have to try the blue velvet nudi.
Anyone know where to find any around? Going through edmonton possibly next week.

Last edited by daniella3d; 11-24-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 PM

paddyob is on a distinguished road

Bad luck for you Daniella.... my Mandarin was eating FW immediately upon entering my tank. Spotted Mandarin is known to feed on them naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
NONE of my mandarins ever eated any flatworms, nor my wrasses. I suspect your mandarin eated them because it was simply starving.

I have a black velvet nudibranch and they are very efficient in removing most of the flatworms but they don't get them all for sure. I have bearely any left and I still have some. My aquarium was infested with them but just one nudi and it cleared most of it in a month.

Problem is they get cought in pumps very very easily as they go free floating in the aquarium and always end up on pomp. So all the pump and what ever that could suck them in has to be covered with nets. I had to cover both of my koralias with nets.

You still have to check because if they get cought on a pump they are not strong enough to detach from it and they can't really move their body as they only have traction at the very tip of their head which is done by some tiny hairs moving. So if they do get cought on a pump you have to shut it down and gently remove the nudibranch.

They are poison so carbon in the filter 24/7! In case one die it won't pollute the tank (especialy a small tank) and kill everything with toxine.

They only live about 3 months but mine is going out of food after only a month and half. I has already spawned rings of eggs 3 times and they usualy do that when they sense their ending is near.

My 70 Gallon build:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66478

My Mandarin Paradise:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72762

I wonder... does anyone care enough to read signatures if you make them really small? I would not. I would probably moan and complain, read three words and swear once or twice. But since you made it this far, please rate my builds.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:45 PM
Vendor

BlueWorldAquatic is on a distinguished road

My Psychodellic in our SPS tank is plump from eating all types of bugs.

Eventhough we dip all our new corals, some get by once in awhile.

Ken - BWA

Store Location

Twitter

Facebook
Old 11-25-2010, 05:34 AM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

that explains it. MIne are both green mandarins and don't toutch flatworms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyob View Post
Bad luck for you Daniella.... my Mandarin was eating FW immediately upon entering my tank. Spotted Mandarin is known to feed on them naturally.