Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 PM

roblarss is on a distinguished road
Default cloudy water

I have a 120gal display tank with about 60 gal of sump. My doser went a bit crazy and I now have very cloudy water. Looks like watery milk. Doser is offline for about 7 days now and I have done 3 x 40gal water changes and its not getting any better.

It looks like a fair bit of mag and alk was added.

My Alk numbers were at 220ppm (12dkh) and after the first water change it dropped to 210 (11.7dkh). Last water change it dropped to about 202ppm (11.4dkh).

I am out of mag and cal tests currently.

Tested PH last night and got 7.61

It doesnt look like the fish are having any issues except getting lost in the tank. I can only see them if they get within 4 inchs of the glass. The zoas i can see are open.

The reading I have been doing says to not bother testing anyways as they will be false high reading from precipitate. The skimmer just makes a huge head of foam after a few hours and pops the lid off. The glass gets a slimy white film.

Any thing more that can be done or just ride it out as I have read on many articles.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:47 PM

TimT is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblarss
The skimmer just makes a huge head of foam after a few hours and pops the lid off. The glass gets a slimy white film.
It sounds more like a bacterial bloom than a buffer problem since you said the skimmer is going crazy and there's white slime on the glass.

Try a UV sterilizer.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 01-27-2015, 10:57 PM

Hmm not to sure. I know the doser did inject very large quantities of cal, alk, mag. I can see particulate flowing around ( very small). Im wondering if this imbalance caused a bacterial bloom. I figured the precipitate may be attached to film algae.
I dont have access to a uv sterilizer right away. Any way to diferentiate between a chemical imbalance or bloom.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:12 AM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblarss View Post
Hmm not to sure. I know the doser did inject very large quantities of cal, alk, mag. I can see particulate flowing around ( very small). Im wondering if this imbalance caused a bacterial bloom. I figured the precipitate may be attached to film algae.
I dont have access to a uv sterilizer right away. Any way to diferentiate between a chemical imbalance or bloom.
This description sounds like precipitate due to imbalance in calc and alk added. I would just do a some hefty water changes to try and stabilize the system.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:04 AM

If your seeing particulate floating around and see it settled out on the film on the glass then I would suspect buffer problems too. If your mag is high enough... 3x the Calcium or at least 1350 then you should not be getting any clouding. If your alk and ca are high and your mag low then you get can get clouding or calcium buildups forming on glass and magnets. Get a test kit and check your magnesium levels. The only confusing issue is the high alk but low pH. Perhaps your pH meter needs to be cleaned and calibrated.

Are you using Instant Ocean saltmix?
Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
Hi,

It sounds more like a bacterial bloom than a buffer problem since you said the skimmer is going crazy and there's white slime on the glass.

Try a UV sterilizer.

Cheers,
Tim
Sounds like at least part of the issue is a bacterial bloom. Are you dosing carbon?

Best solution is larger water changes IMO

EDIT: and of course, if you are dosing carbon, half your dose for a while
Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 AM

No carbon dosing.
I am using instant ocean and the ph meter i used is calibrated (used at work).
Ill grab some new test kits and alot more salt on thursday and continue doing water changes.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:16 AM

I have had Instant Ocean be very high(12.8dKH) in Alk and low(1000 mg/l) in mag. Check your Magnesium before you do a water change. Also make sure the parameters are correct in the new salt water before using it in your tank.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:49 AM

mikellini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimT View Post
I have had Instant Ocean be very high(12.8dKH) in Alk and low(1000 mg/l) in mag. Check your Magnesium before you do a water change. Also make sure the parameters are correct in the new salt water before using it in your tank.
Apparently instant ocean has changed their mix a bit with respect to mag, they've had higher mag (around 1350) for a while now from what I've read
Old 01-28-2015, 07:06 AM

I emptied my last bucket of IO doing my last water changes and was surprised at the lack of alk drop by doing 3x 40gal changes. I havent been checking my wc water params but maybe i should. I cant get anymore io salt in the area i live. Going to head to edm on thurs to buy more salt and test kits ( anyone know who will have cal/mag kits instock in edm, seems many dont have them). My mag was at 900 once i got my alk and cal close so i may have added a bit much as i over a few weeks i tried o get it closer to proper levels.
My fish are alive but not eating that i can see 4" from the glass.
Damn foxface keeps staring at me as he sits by the tank glass and glares at me all day. Most fish i see once every few days.