Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 PM

Ephraim is on a distinguished road
Default The Glassware Nano build

Well I guess I've got too much time and money on my hands because I figured it would be a good idea to start up yet another "tank". Went in a different direction with this one though. When the project is totally completed, it will be a series of glassware, 4 pieces, arranged on an endtable by my living room couch that are all piped into a common sump.

First piece of glassware is a schooner mug which has been drilled with a 35mm hole. In order to fit the drain and return into this one hole and maintain the already limited living space within the mug, I incorporated the both into the same pipe. A 1/2" pipe runs inside a 1" pipe. 1/2" pipe is the drain and 1" is the return. In this picture is the fittings for the piping under the mug where the drain and return part ways. The return water enters through the hose barb, and since there is a gap between the 1/2" and 1" pipe it is able to travel upwards. A 3/4" coupling fits into the 1" tee, and a 3/4" to 1/2" coupling fits in there. This prevents the return water from getting out of the line. Inside of the 3/4" to 1/2" coupling needed to be slightly bored out to allow for the 1/2" pipe to slip all the way through.

And here is a picture of the assembled manifold that it mounted to the underside of the table. The valves give me the opportunity to bypass pressure from the pump back to the sump and independently control pressure to each vessel. It was really tight getting this to fit under the table, but I squeezed it all in.

Here's a couple pictures of the sump(5 gal), baffles will help to slow the movement of sediment allowing it to settle in a couple key places that are accessible for siphoning. Intake on the pump has holes drilled in rows along the bottom to disperse suction to avoid potential vortices. ATO float coming in the mail from Virtual Village. They sell a great little float that I have on another tank, $15 and about 3" x 5" and works like a gem on a gravity feed. I will be teeing off of the gravity feed for the reef tank in the living room to feed the ATO on this system. I should still have some room for tossing in some LR rubble for good measure.

Here's a picture of the everything assembled in the middle of the room so the mechanics of it can be better seen. One extra set of holes has been drilled in the stand as I plan on getting the second vessel done in the near future. The other two vessels will be on the lower portion of the stand.

A lower angle shot of the assembled system showing the drain pipe placement as well as the mounting of the manifold.

Another low angle shot from the other side. In this picture you can see the completed assembly of the tee where the 1/2" and 1" pipe get married.

Shot of the mug itself with stand pipe in place. The stand pipe is composed of a 1" coupling, a 3/4" coupling and a 3/4" to 1/2" coupling and then the 1/2" drain that runs to the top. If you look closely, you will see that there is holes drilled around the 1" coupling. There is about 20 holes drilled around the perimeter, pointing downwards to avoid deadspots along the bottom.

Here's a picture of everything in place.

The only thing I have not given much thought to is lighting. I want to be able to grow some encrusting montis in here. I was thinking of some type of clip on LED spot light. Does anyone have any recommendations or ideas on this front.

As for livestock, I saw some really nice small blue hippo tangs down at the LFS, less than a inch long. Should go pretty well in here right?