Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 10-27-2009, 03:10 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on getting rid of surgery scars?

Well ive recently had surgery and was left with a wicked (both cool and damn thats going to be on my body) scar. Does any one have good advice on how to make them heal up and become a little less noticable besides rubbing vitamin E oil on them?

and sorry about the bandage in the photo still partially healing from everything

Last edited by freezetyle; 10-27-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:30 AM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

You could finish or add to your tatoo
Old 10-27-2009, 04:12 AM

freezetyle is on a distinguished road

I've thought about this. the only problem is that the ink doesn't really take all that well on the scar tissue
Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 AM

the marine apprentice is on a distinguished road

after your scar heals up for the most part a tat should blend in fairly decent.. i have one on my shoulder that used to be a huge scar from a bmx crash when i was younger and it turned out really good. it just took a while to heal before i got the tat
mp40wes
Diablo skimmer
Mag 12 return pump also feeding two reactors
Old 10-27-2009, 04:27 AM

04scoobysti is on a distinguished road

I tried a few of the creams, They're ok. I found massaging the scar once it had healed very beneficial, it stimulates blood flow and i noticed it softened up the scar alot.

As for tattooing the scar i wouldn't. I'd come close to it and maybe hide it that way,
but if the skin of the scar is thin from stretching after surgery i wouldn't let a tattoo gun anywhere near it (I have Tattoos, so its not like im biased)

So yeah, i'd stick to a cream and massaging it. I have head that Mederma is a good product and works well.
Other than that, having another surgery is the only other way to get rid of a bad scar. Even then you will still have a scar, only much thinner.

The scars i have from a plastic surgeon no one can see unless i point them out where my others from regular surgery are noticeable.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

massage the scar often which should keep it from swelling out permenantly and yoiu could try udder cream, yes its for cows but it does wonders on stretch marks etc.

PS if going to put a tat on it wait till it heals or the ink will run. or so i have been told.
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:27 AM

JPotter is on a distinguished road

Tissue takes time to reorganize and settle down. You can occupy your time with various things...massage, creams, cold laser etc but in the end tissue needs time to reorganize. When sutured minimizing tissue tension, careful apposition of tissue edges and the type of suture used helps to minimize the width of new tissue. In the mean time avoid UV radiation as it will delay tissue organization.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 AM

Sebae again is on a distinguished road

Vitamin E, zink and when a model rocket blew up in my brothers face, I believe the doctor prescribed a cream containing silver nitrate or silver some thing. Cant remember as that was 30 years ago but he ended up with no scaring.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 AM

robert is on a distinguished road

Maybe http://www.ehow.com/how_4474797_get-...cal-scars.html?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 AM

Mr.nintendo is on a distinguished road

Vitamin E works wonders, when I get tattoo clients coming in that have scars that are either to fresh or still very pink I usually tell them to massage the tattoo twice a day with it to help.

There's many other methods, to many really to type here your best bet it so research online or just try the Vit.E

The issue with tattooing scars is if not fully settled pigment can actually spread through them... Suddenly the tattoo that is supposed to cover the scar brings it out even more.

Another option I use personally and know many who have is Emu oil : http://www.emuoilcanada.com/

It's a really great working alternative and I've used it on some big scars, same as the Vit.E just massaging it into the scar a few times a day. Breaks up the scar tissue quick and helps everything settle