Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefMadness View Post
a lot of times a new addition in a larger tank requires being moved around the tank for light acclimation and to find it's happy place. how do you go about relocating a coral that no longer is affixed to a plug?
finally, have you ever lost a coral to associated dipping process trauma?
Moving the coral around is why I glue it to rock rubble after removing the old plug and dipping it. I then glue the rock rubble holding the coral to my rock work. If it needs moving it's easy to pop the rubble off and move it without disturbing the coral itself.

I have lost corals within 24 hours of dipping, but these are corals that were looking sad to begin with (bleached, browned, etc). Personally, I'd rather lose a coral than not dip it. Losing the coral is very little concern to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Is there a so called "runner up" to Bayer? Anything we can use that is local and not illegal lol. I'm sure it may not be as good at the job, however I am curious as to what other people have used with success.
As said, it's not illegal to use Bayer.

You can use Coral Rx or Revive. It doesn't work as well as Bayer. I don't find that Coral Rx or Revive will knock off AEFW (they will knock off adult MEN though), but the dips do give the worms that whitish coloring so you can see them. You definitely have to be much more meticulous in inspecting if you use Coral Rx or Revive. I find that Coral Rx and Revive are much harder on Acros than Bayer is. Oddly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
The biggest problem with Bayer Advanced insect killer is from what I know is it is not available in Canada. The active ingredient is "Imidacloprid". From what I know Imidacloprid is now banned in Canada. Kills bees.
I couldn't find anything online about it actually being banned yet. Last fall there was a proposal to ban it, and in January the government started to "phase out Imidacloprid use". Health Canada didn't find any correlation with bees, but their reasoning to phase out use was (ironicly to us) related to aquatic bugs (fish food). It's not illegal to be in possession of it.

I actually bought my current bottle of Bayer off Amazon.ca (yes the Canadian site) in Sept 2015 for $18 fulfilled by Amazon. I'm still using that same bottle, and my tank is pretty full, so I don't think I'll be using it all up any time soon. This is a pretty tiny amount considering how much someone would use to spray their yard, or worse yet, one of the farmers in Saskatchewan who would be spraying thousands of acres at a time. Farmers are the ones that freak me out - I worry about what's in the air around here!

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 04-13-2017 at 01:59 PM.