Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 12-03-2019, 05:29 PM

gmann is on a distinguished road
Default lighting question

Hi all,

just looking for feedback from those that have radions currently. As everyone keeps telling me kessil is crap i am contemplating making the switch.

my tank is 48 x 36; using their light rail would 2 xr30 and 1 xr15 be sufficient?
I see that their coverage is 24 x 24, so i'll have to put a light strip of leave it as is for the back 12".

I would also be using their diffuser kit to avoid the disco ball look, and keeping lps only.

thanks
Old 12-04-2019, 05:38 AM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road
Default Radions...

I have three XR30 Gen 4 Pro's on a rail over my cube. 48"L x 36" w x 26"T. Left and Right lights are positioned longer from front to back, center light is positioned longer side to side.
Lighting is great from front to back and side to side. I do NOT use defusers as I want to keep as much light off the glass as to keep algae growth to a minimum. I don't have to run the lights hard and I am not seeing any cones of light per say. Clean my glass every 4-5 days. Very happy with the uniform focus of light downward.

In my new build thats in the works, I plan on adding 2 more XR30's as the tank is going to be 8' long. I figure 5 lights over 8 feet should do the job quite nice.

Indecently, I have two XR30's over my coral tank. Its a 4' long Marineland bowfront. I've had for a while and the light throughout is great.

Hope this helps....
Old 12-04-2019, 07:31 PM

it does. thank you
Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmann View Post
Hi all,

just looking for feedback from those that have radions currently. As everyone keeps telling me kessil is crap i am contemplating making the switch.

my tank is 48 x 36; using their light rail would 2 xr30 and 1 xr15 be sufficient?
I see that their coverage is 24 x 24, so i'll have to put a light strip of leave it as is for the back 12".

I would also be using their diffuser kit to avoid the disco ball look, and keeping lps only.

thanks
IMO you need minimum 4 over that tank but more like 6

Wwc has a tank close to this size n their old store. Check out the BRSvideo on it.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanks Ryan. Will look into that.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:05 AM

Ace Storman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
IMO you need minimum 4 over that tank but more like 6

Wwc has a tank close to this size n their old store. Check out the BRSvideo on it.
Ryan...respectively, having run 3 XR30 Gen4 Pro's over a 4' wide tank is plenty enough. Bit of a trade off in the beginning....spend a bit more in lights but then you don't have to drive the lights very hard. (driving lights at a lower level = longer life...much longer life).

At the end of the day, its also about PAR and what your are trying to achieve. I am confident that the 3 lights in my tank, if turned up all the way...would easily bleach and kill everything in the tank. :-(

IMHO..though

Regards,

Norman
Old 12-06-2019, 05:18 PM

so after seeing vids and stuff, i am thinking 3 xr30's placed vertically, or 2 30's in the front horizontally, and 2 xr15 is the back.

should be good to go for lps only system
Old 12-07-2019, 02:26 PM

Ryan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Storman View Post
Ryan...respectively, having run 3 XR30 Gen4 Pro's over a 4' wide tank is plenty enough. Bit of a trade off in the beginning....spend a bit more in lights but then you don't have to drive the lights very hard. (driving lights at a lower level = longer life...much longer life).

At the end of the day, its also about PAR and what your are trying to achieve. I am confident that the 3 lights in my tank, if turned up all the way...would easily bleach and kill everything in the tank. :-(

IMHO..though

Regards,

Norman
I was referring to XR15's