Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-15-2012, 03:55 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

check this out. New Kessil A350 ( aka tuna blue)
I'm getting a pair of them as soon as released from J & L. Each light should be the equivalent of a 250-300 watt MH

Looked at the AI's and Radions but their mounting options leave a lot to be desired. The Kessils are mounted on a flexible gooseneck which attaches to the back of the tank. Also they are the only true led designed for aquariums. They make their own leds. It is one single led, not a bunch of little ones put together.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/04/04/k...tuna-blue-led/

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:37 AM

Midway is on a distinguished road

Well I've had my 5 AI Sols over my 240G and in a short period of time I've seen lots of grow in some zoas and other corals and the colors??? Spectacular!!!

Man get to know yourself and you will get to know the Universe and the Gods!!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 AM

fishmanty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerchow View Post
Also they are the only true led designed for aquariums. They make their own leds. It is one single led, not a bunch of little ones put together.

The Kessil's are actually a bunch tiny little LED's clustered together much closer than those in a Radion or AI Sol. They just appear to be one LED, because they are that close together. Look at one close up and you'll see the smaller LEDS packing into the "bulb".
Old 04-15-2012, 05:00 AM

Cliff is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
two AI sols would be more than adequate for your tank and would come in at around $900 with the optional controller.....that would save you some coin.....and ya, welcome to canreef
+1 to the above

I'm using three AI SOLs on my 120 and I like them a lot better than the 8 bulb T5HO fixture that I had. I am also using the baseline controller than AI sells. I have the whites at 45%, and the blues and royal blues at 75% and it looks a lot brighter than my old T5 fixture

Your 90 gallon should do just fine with two units and a controller
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 AM

troni is on a distinguished road

Quote:
check this out. New Kessil A350 ( aka tuna blue)
I'm getting a pair of them as soon as released from J & L. Each light should be the equivalent of a 250-300 watt MH

Looked at the AI's and Radions but their mounting options leave a lot to be desired. The Kessils are mounted on a flexible gooseneck which attaches to the back of the tank. Also they are the only true led designed for aquariums. They make their own leds. It is one single led, not a bunch of little ones put together.

With a bunch of little leds you get better covverage as with one big one you get light emitted from a single point. My guess is some shadows.
If the sol and radion were not designed for the aquarium what were they designed for?

20g reef 25g sump, DIY led form modular led, 2 false percs

Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmanty View Post
The Kessil's are actually a bunch tiny little LED's clustered together much closer than those in a Radion or AI Sol. They just appear to be one LED, because they are that close together. Look at one close up and you'll see the smaller LEDS packing into the "bulb".
your right fishmanty . My bad. Here is their led technology. Jeff at J and L told me they were one giant led bulb, but on further research, they are lots of bunched up small led's. Point is that Kessil is an agricultural lighting company that has set it's sights on the aquarium industry, and they have designed their own led's just for us.

http://www.kessil.com/about/dense_matrix_led.php

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Check out AI's website and you will see they use multi cree LEDs, each unit has eight clusters of three LEDs (one white, one blue and one royal blue). Could you be thinking of a different brand of fixture ?

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

I can't comment on the mounting brackets as I mounted mine in a canopy
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 AM

Sorry burgerchow, I did not notice your above post before I typed the one above.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:20 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I would wait til next week and check out the release of the new Kissel A350 led spotlights. Been doing a lot of research on the current A150, and they seem pretty impressive. You would probably only need 2 units for your . I will be replacing my MH with a pair of A350s as soon as they're available. The only led that can closely replicate MH, including the tank shimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
thats not true....most higher wattage LEDs will produce the shimmer....my Radion shimmers even with only the "royal blues"running at 3%
My DIY LED's from Modular LED have a great shimmer, not as much washout from the LED's as the MH & I am getting much better growth on everything in my tank under the LED'S

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Looked at the AI's and Radions but their mounting options leave a lot to be desired.
there are some options out there to mount the AI & Radion out there, you just have to talk to the right people.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build

Tags
led, lighting, reef