Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-14-2012, 03:30 AM

Semaka is on a distinguished road
Default Led lights for a 90g

so I am in the process of building a 90g reef tank. Just placed an order on a 48/18/24 main with a 40g sump.
Now my main dilemma is lighting.
I would like to go with LEDs. My budget is around 1500 but if I can bring it down it would allow for a nice controller :P.
I have narrowed it down to two options (don't be shy to suggest some other thing): 3 module Mazarra P series (the whole set would be 1534) and the other one is the Sunbrite F series (48 in long for 1099).
From the technical specs the sunbrites use older generation 5w XPG cool whites with XPE for the other channels. While the Mazarra use XMLs with some XPGs. Now bearing in mind that I'm a complete newb when it comes to saltwater aquariums/lighting are the Mazarras worth 400$ extra?.... would the sunbrites impede coral growth or limit my options as far as coral species go?

Which would you pick? do you have better options? point them out. Sry if there's a LED thread on these lights and I missed it.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:32 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road

welcome to canreef, have you thought of DIY Leds?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:39 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

DIY will save you tons of money and you well get the exact combination of emitters you want.
http://www.aquastyleonline.com This is where I bought mine. Love em.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 AM

isaac1 is on a distinguished road

Not sure your location but if ur in or around edmonton i suggest going to red coral sea i beleave its called off fort road the owner showed me led set ups a bit pricey but defently has the best led displays and set up in edmonton
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 AM

No I did not bother to look into it. At this point I'm no where near versed enough to build one. The actual building is not the problem but this being my first tank it is hard to know what I need, what I'm going to like and what is going to work. I just felt that if the Sunbrites were decent enough I would buy those and eventually when I would be "old enough to feel ways about things" I might build a LED strip. At this point I thought it would be much safer to just buy one ready made.
out of curiosity how much would it cost to build an equivalent 48'' led strip?
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

two AI sols would be more than adequate for your tank and would come in at around $900 with the optional controller.....that would save you some coin.....and ya, welcome to canreef
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 AM

Thx
I guess i should provide some more info. I would like something that would allow me to grow the majority of corals.
I did not look into the AI sols. Are they enough to cover the whole tank 48/18 ?
How would they stack against the other two?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Cade is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

Yah the most popular LED's seem to be Ecotech Radions and the AI Sol.

I have a 90 and if I had your budget I would perchase 2 Radions, you would never regret it.
But if i didnt feel like spending $1600 + hanging kit + shipping I would go for the AI's and Im sure I would never regret that either, I have spoke with many happy owners of those lights.

Some people may say that 3 AI's are necessary but you can always start with 2 and see how you like it.

Good luck and Im jelouse of your LED's whatever you choose.

Last edited by Cade; 04-14-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:04 AM

troni is on a distinguished road

I definately suggest DIY modular led is a sponsor of the forum check it out. They also have apex controllers 15% off. If you don't wanna do diy they 2 most talked about are radion and the ai sol. Good luck.

20g reef 25g sump, DIY led form modular led, 2 false percs

Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 AM

burgerchow is on a distinguished road
Default Led

I would wait til next week and check out the release of the new Kissel A350 led spotlights. Been doing a lot of research on the current A150, and they seem pretty impressive. You would probably only need 2 units for your . I will be replacing my MH with a pair of A350s as soon as they're available. The only led that can closely replicate MH, including the tank shimmer

120 , lps. 2xKessil A350W Tuna Blues, 2xvortech mp40 for flow,aqualogic 1/4 hp chiller, 160 lbs live rock. sohal, , pair of percs,flame dotty back , royal gramma, pair of black percs, niger trigger, mandarin

55 corner bowfront freshwater, African cichlids kessil a350

30 gal 36x36 coffee table fish tank. 3 red ear sliders.

5.5 gal nano, live rock, arrow crab, baby perc, firefish.

Tags
led, lighting, reef